Chapter 4

"Ammi, I cannot keep up with this charade. Who is the best of all? Also, can you stop bringing up the marriage.", Aariz complains.

"Not like I was discussing yours.", his mom defends herself, "Besides she is a girl. She needs to get married earlier."

"She is becoming a doctor. She must be busy. Besides she can get married whenever she wants. Why do we have to worry about her? Nuha is not married either.", as soon as he brings up Nuha Mrs. Hafeez sits up from a relaxed position.

"We are trying, okay.", she gets up and leaves.

He sighs sinking in the softness of the sofa. Mr. Hafeez stares down at him, "What Dad? It's embarrassing!"

Is it embarrassing?

(Aariz's POV:) Are the lines blurring? The lines of hate into the lines of hostility.

Aariz gets himself off the sofa knowing it was futile to try convincing them. He is greeted by Nuha's body slamming against the door eavesdropping on the conversation.

"So she told you?" She hisses as she slowly closes the door.

Ushering himself to the bed he asks, "About what?"

"My marriage? What else is on her head these days?!" She plops onto the bed.

"She says she is trying." He tries to defend his ammi.

"Trying". Her scoff makes him roll his eyes.

"Why? Do you not want to get married?!"

"I said yes to finding me a match. A match that I myself approve". Slamming her hand across her chest she sinks into her bed and curls into a cat.

The jabs of the two rejections in two months are still fresh in her mind. Her clothing is too modern. She is too shy and too quiet to adjust to the business-minded family. Does she work?! But our women don't.

"Not like they are forcing something on you" Aariz's eyes follow her movement.

"A manager. 30 year old ass. Doesn't want me to work. Or complete my education" She sits up "Are you shitting me?!"

Aariz realizes how colorful Nuha's language has become around Selena and Amelia. He bites his laugher and furrows his eyes after recovering from the effects of profanity.

"No way". His eyes widen. "You're joking."

"I rejected. If a man talks shit I owe him nothing."

"Why didn't you tell me? You could've dropped a message."

"You? A message? You who didn't talk straight face to ammi back when you were in Denmark, would have helped me. Spare me the manly act". Nuha rolls herself into her duvet and flicks the side lamp close.

These words hit him like a shotgun shot in the heart. He freezes in the moment unable to escape his sister's words. Has he been so distant?

"Then why don't you tell them you don't to get married?" In the darkness, Aariz reaches for his duvet.

"Because I want to fall in love. Have someone who looks after me and cares for me. Respects what I do and what I want" She pauses as she imagines herself working on fashion design sketches while a hand feeds her food.

"I want to have children we both look after and finally grow old to sit together at evening teas watching the sun melt into the sky" Although she doesn't want to imagine her face all wrinkled up from the smiles and frowns of life she still can imagine a warm cup of tea in her hand while other hand warmed up by the heart of the hand of her lover.