Before We Start

BISH, sarwat2004
Feast your eyes on the fantasy I built for you because I can't see your ships float for I shall remain the cat lady forever.

Dear reader,

Dear reader,

Before you start, please know that this is a Muslim story and if your life hasn't crossed paths with Muslims I would like you to stop here for a moment to read this.

1. What is Halal and haram?
Halal is an Arabic word that means permissible. The net casted by this small word covers all the aspects of the life of a Muslim ranging from relationships to food. Whereas haram is the opposite of halal. What isn't halal may be haram or permissible but not preferred thus - makrooh.

These rules have also been observed in other religions like Hinduism where eating cow meat isn't permissible. Chametz is the forbidden food for Jews.

Example -
Intoxicating beverages and pork are haram.
Intercourse without legal marriage is haram.
Tea is Halal as long as no alcohol has been added to it to make it.

Why is it important in the context of this book?
Since this book revolves around two people falling in love this means they have to work their ways according to the Islamic ruling.

2

2. What is hijab?
Hijab is the covering that has been banned by France and hated by Islamophobes who fail to understand the reasons behind our clothing. No, it's not terrorism.

It is one of the ways to observe modesty as per the ruling of God for women to prevent MOST sleaze-balls from sexualizing women and harassing them with their gawking eyes and sinful hands. While men are asked to lower their gaze and observe modest clothing too.

Coming from IndoPak culture, the rulings of modest clothing has been relatively different meanings. The Muslims living in these areas for years have used dupatta which is similar to hijab.

The concept of the dupatta is more common among Muslim women coming from South East Asian culture which is loosely draped around the head. This dupatta may or may not reveal one's hair depending upon how it has been draped. Thus may or may not fulfill the obligation of observing modesty.