08: Vanilla Scent

Start from the beginning

"No, mom. She hates it when people call her that—"

"Yes!" she instantly cut him off. Panic spread in no time inside her. She can't let his mother know that she despised the fact that she was sharing the name with his son. She forced a smile. "Yes, mother. You can call me Hyuck."

"Jihyuck, why the fuck are you lying—" Donghyuck's eyes bulged in pain when Jeno slammed his big palm over his mouth. "Jeno!" he protested.

Jeno leaned closer to his ear. "Just play along. You don't want your mother to know what you did to her either," he whispered.

He gasped for air when he finally managed to shove his hand away from his face. "Fine. I'll keep quiet but can you not use violence?" he glared at him.

"This?" Jeno looked at his veiny hand. "How is this violence?"

"Donghyuck, come help me set up the table for lunch," Mrs. Lee said.

"Ah, mom. Can you do it with Jihyuck instead? At least, she can be useful and help you. That's why I agree to bring her in the first pl—argh!" he groaned in pain when the hard cushion hit right on his face. "Mom!"

"Did I ever teach you to treat women that way? Are women a machine? Working for men?" she queried, tone slightly increased.

Jihyuck could see Donghyuck's shoulder drooping.

"Follow me to the kitchen now or I'll burn your computer," Mrs. Lee ordered, short and stern. But when she brought her eyes to Jihyuck again, her face softened. "Come on, Hyuck."

She nodded as a response. Mrs. Lee spun her heels and went to the kitchen first. Meanwhile, Jihyuck took the opportunity to look at the sullen Donghyuck who was also looking at her as if he wanted to pick a fight, she stuck her tongue out and immediately ran to the kitchen.

"That b—" he bit his lips, realizing his father was around. "Dad, did you see that? I told you, she is so, very, super annoying. You will want to choke her to death," Donghyuck complained.

"She looks just like you, Hyuck."

"Not funny, dad," he deadpanned.

"Don't you agree, Jeno?"

Jeno quickly nodded, earning him a slap on his thigh from Donghyuck "I agree. Besides, we call Jihyuck 'Hyuck' as well at home," Jeno said.

"Oh, no one cares, Jeno."

"Lee Donghyuck! Aren't you coming?"

Donghyuck instantly jolted in his seat. "I-I am, mom!"

˗ˏˋ ♡ ˎˊ˗

After lunch, they straight away went out. Mr. and Mrs. Lee drove them to the nearest groceries store and they bought ingredients to cook for dinner along with the ingredients for a barbecue tomorrow. It was to celebrate Jaemin's birthday.

They arrived home around 5 pm and Jihyuck helped Mrs. Lee cook dinner. The older woman was quite surprised the girl was knowledgeable in this field but it all made sense when Jihyuck told her she often cooked for Jeno and her little sibling since her parents were busy most of the time.