08: Vanilla Scent

Start from the beginning

"Come on, Ji," Jeno pushed her from behind after he was done unloading their suitcases from the trunk.

Jeno was quite familiar with the area around the huge house since Donghyuck brought them here for breaks rather often. It was the first time for Jihyuck, though.

Despite feeling bitter about how Donghyuck was behaving in the car earlier, anxiety now took over her, making her forget her rage for him. She could feel her hands getting clammy and her mouth drying up.

Jaemin placed his hand on her shoulder, stroking it lightly. "Ji, are you okay?"

"Y-yeah. I'm just nervous," she rubbed her nape. She lifted her head, looking into Jaemin's eyes. "What if his mother kicks me out because I was mean to her son?"

Jaemin burst into a round of chuckles. "What?" his brows heaved in amusement. "Ji, Donghyuck's mom is the sweetest person you'll ever know," he caressed her shoulder. "Don't worry, let's go."

Before she could decline, Jaemin held her hand and dragged her forward. In a blink of an eye, she found herself in the living room. Jeno and Donghyuck were already seated—comfortably at that.

The moment she feared the most. His parents. The moment she met Donghyuck's mother's eyes, she felt like raising her hands above her head and said, "Yes, ma'am. I was mean to your son and I deserve to die." But that only happened in her head, thankfully.

She then felt her body tensing up and her eyes grew in size when the older woman stood up and walked in her way. Shortly afterward, she felt arms wrapped around her waist, tight and gentle.

It was warm. Like a mother's hug would feel.

"Welcome to Donghyuck's house, sweetheart," she loosened her grip around her. She stared at her face with pure fondness. "You're so pretty. You look just like Jeno."

Blood rushed to her cheeks. She stretched her lips into a genuine smile. "Thank you. You're beautiful too, ma'am."

The older woman shook her head. "Come on, you're too formal. Just call me mom. They call me that too," she said, referring to Jaemin, Jeno and Renjun.

"I'll try," she beamed awkwardly.

"What's your name, by the way?"

"Mom, can you not—"

She hissed. "I'm not talking to you."

Donghyuck looked at his father, hoping he'd say something but the man just shook his head with a small smile tugged at his lips. "Give her a chance. She had been wanting a daughter for the longest time," he whispered to his son.

"Jihyuck. My name is Lee Jihyuck."

"Jihyuck?!" she gasped. She turned around to look at her husband. "Honey, she has the same name as our son!"

"I heard," Mr. Lee nodded as a response.

She clasped her palm over her mouth, still amazed. "Donghyuck, do you finally found your soulmate?" Mrs. Lee studied every inch of Jihyuck's face, unable to take her eyes off the girl.

Donghyuck whined, "'Mom! I told you we hate—"

"Can I call you Hyuck? Just like I call him Hyuck?"