20 | The Start of The Quest

She was plagued by her thoughts that night. Her worries piled on her head, taking over the chances of more rest. That was why the music she played helped pull her under the tides of sleep. 

She awoke to her father's throne room in the Underworld. 

She wandered alone in the onyx hall. It was unusually quiet with no one there. Spacey too. Her footsteps echoed loudly. She has never seen her father's throne room so deserted and devoid of life - ghosts. There were no living beings in the Underworld besides for the rulers and some gods who stayed there. But as for mortals, no one visits the world below unless they're heroes on a quest - very brave heroes, or if it was her. 

"My lord, my lady." Elora went down on one knee with her head bowed down. 

"Daughter," her father said. She took it as the signal to stand up.

"Hello, father," she said. "Hey, Persephone."

"Hey cousin," Persephone, the goddess of springtime said. "It's been a while since you've visited."

"You know how it is, too much schoolwork to do, surviving, and some quests to do. Not much time in between," she said. "I missed you, if that's any consolation."

"We missed you too." Persephone grinned. "Your father rivals my feelings about missing you. All he could do was talk about you. Is Elora okay? Has she eaten yet? Should we send her lunch?" The queen's voice came out lower than normal. 

"I do not sound like that," her father said, rather disturbed at Persephone's imitation of his voice. "I think it is completely natural for a father to worry about her daughter. Especially when we know so many gods or titans or monsters that could and would kill her." 

"Aww I'm touched." Elora placed a hand on her chest whilst trying to hold in her laugh. "You guys love me so much."

"Yes we-" her father stopped when he looked at her trying and failing to hold her laugh. "Never mind."

"Ha! Too late! No take backs!" she exclaimed. "So, anyways, is there any reason I'm here?"

"Ooh yes! I wanted to show you something," Persephone said. "We wouldn't want to call you here for no reason now would we? Especially when you're oh so busy."

"No, we wouldn't want that," she responded sarcastically. "I'm very busy on Monday morning, afternoon, Wednesday morning, and Thursday afternoon. If only someone could take me elsewhere."

"Noted, cousin." The queen winked. "Hades, memorize the days! We're so calling her here every Monday morning, afternoon, Wednesday morning, and Thursday afternoon. Mark the dates!" 

Elora laughed again. Her laughter mingled with Persephone's melodious laughter and her father's chuckle. "Eager, are we?"

"Very." Persephone smirked. "Family time with the three of you is always pleasant."

"Always," the lord of the dead said. "Now, are we going to go show Elora the surprise or are we going to talk here all night?" 

"Let's go now! We need to do this quickly. She'll need her sleep," Persephone said.

"I'll live with five hours of rest," she said. 

"Come here." Her father stood up and motioned her to come closer to him.

She walked to where he was and he helped his wife up from her throne. He wrapped an arm around Persephone's waist and the other around Elora's shoulders. "Hold on." With that warning, in the next split second, the ruler of the underworld disappeared and took them with him. 

☀︎︎☽︎☾︎☀︎︎

When Elora opened her eyes, the sight of nature blessed her eyes. Trees and flowers filled her sight for miles and miles, stretching so far she couldn't see anything else. There were several paths laid out with flat rocks, a lake with crystal water, and lilies floated on the surface.