19 | Council Meeting

"Three and three," Percy said.

Everybody looked at him.

"We're supposed to have six," he said. "Three Hunters and three from Camp Half-Blood. That's fair."

"Well," Elora said. "It does make sense."

Zoe grunted. "I would prefer to take all the Hunters. We will need strength in numbers."

"You'll be retracing the goddess's path," Chiron reminded the Hunter. "Moving quickly. No doubt Artemis tracked the scent of this rare monster, whatever it is, as she moved west. You will have to do the same. The prophecy was clear: The bane of Olympus shows the trail. What would your mistress say? 'Too many Hunters spoil the scent.' A small group is best."

Zoe picked up a Ping-Pong paddle and studied it like she was deciding who she wanted to whack. "This monster - the bane of Olympus. I have hunted at Lady Artemis's side for many years, yet I have no idea what this beast might be."

Everybody looked at Dionysus. Elora guessed because he was the only god present and gods are supposed to know things. He was flipping through a wine magazine, but when everyone got silent, he glanced up. "Well, don't look at me. I'm a young god, remember? I don't keep track of all those ancient monsters and dusty titans. They make for terrible party conversation."

"Chiron," Percy said. "You don't have any ideas about the monster?"

"Ha! You should've asked him," Mr. D said. "Or you friend, Elora. I'm sure she knows her stories. Knowing her, she probably has read a bunch of them and has them stored up in that head of hers. Very useful when you run out of Athena kids to ask."

"Elora," Zoe said. "Any ideas?"

"Some," she answered.

Chiron pursed his lips. "I too have several, none of them good. And none of them quite make sense. Typhon, for instance, could fit this description. He was truly a bane of Olympus. Or the sea monster Keto. But if either of them were stirring, we would know it. They are ocean monsters the size of skyscrapers. Your father, Poseidon, would already have sounded the alarm. I fear this monster may be more elusive. Perhaps even more powerful."

"Elusive?" Elora muttered, her brows were drawn together as she thought about the monster. "If a monster is elusive, it would either have to be able to hide or is small. Maybe unassuming."

"Elora," Chiron called out. "Do you have an idea?"

"Not really. Just thinking. Could the monster be something other than the big and scary ones that inflict direct harm? Maybe it can't. Maybe it's small and unassuming. A nightmare dressed like a daydream," she answered. After she uttered the last thought, Blank Space by Taylor Swift played in her mind. She shrugged. "I'll read more about them later."

Chiron nodded.

"That's some serious danger you're facing," Connor said. Elora liked the way he said you not we. "It sounds like at least two of the six are going to die."

"One shall be lost in the land without rain," Beckendorf said. "If I were you, I'd stay out of the desert."

"And the Titan's curse must two withstand," Silena said. "What could that mean?"

Titan's curse? That piqued Elora's interest. She could recall a few of the titans who were punished by Zeus after the huge war between the titans and the gods. Prometheus and his liver pecked out daily. Atlas, chained to hold the weight of the world. Must suck to have such severe punishments. she grimaced at her thoughts.

"Any ideas about the curse?" Percy asked to her. "Thoughts? Guesses? Anything really."

"Hmm something out one's liver being pecked daily," she said. "Or chained to hold the weight of the world. Nothing good, Perce. Doesn't make sense either."

The Underworld's Child On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara