10 | Artemis's Annoying Brother Is... Annoyingly Hot

Artemis assured them that dawn was coming but it was colder and darker and snowier than ever. Up on the hill, Westover Hall's windows were completely lightless. She wondered if the teachers had even noticed the absence of Dr. Thorn and the di Angelo siblings.

The Hunters broke camp as quickly as they set it up. She stood comfortably warm in the snow only because of the gifted silver parka she wore. And the hot chocolate she drank earlier. Artemis stared into the east like she was expecting someone. Her twin probably. Bianca sat off to one side, talking with Nico. Thalia and Grover came up and huddled around Percy and she joined. They were anxious to hear what happened in his audience with the goddess.

After Percy finished filling them in, Grover turned pale. "The last time the Hunters visited camp, it didn't go well."

"How'd they even show up here?" Percy wondered. "I mean, they just appeared out of nowhere."

"And Bianca joined them," Thalia said, disgusted. "It's all Zoe's fault. That stuck-up, no good-"

"Hey." Elora frowned. "Joining the Hunt is not a bad thing. And Zoe's not stuck-up."

"Yes, it is!" Thalia said. "They're all the same stuck-up bunch. Zoe especially. And since when were you all so knowing about the Hunt? What is it with you defending them, Elora? Did you become a Hunter too? Wearing their silver parka and all, talking to them, laughing with them."

"I consider them friends Thalia," she answered. "You know I don't like having anyone talk shit of my friends. As for being a Hunter, I might as well be considering it. The parka's a gift. Something friends do."

Thalia rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

☀︎︎☽︎☾︎☀︎︎

The sky finally began to lighten. Artemis muttered, "About time. He's so-o-o lazy during the winter."

"You're, um, waiting for sunrise?" Percy asked.

"For my brother. Yes."

There was a sudden burst of light on the horizon. A blast of warmth.

"Don't look," Artemis advised. "Not until he parks."

Parks?

She averted her eyes and saw the others were doing the same. The light and warmth intensified until she felt her parka beginning to feel a little stuffy. Then suddenly the light died.

She looked. And she could not believe the sight that greeted her. A red convertible Maserati Spyder. It glowed from what she realized the hot metal. The snow had melted around the Maserati in a perfect circle, which explained why she was standing on green grass and her boots were collecting water on top. She shook the droplets off. The secret to it was wax. Spray them on and you'll get waterproof boots. Really came in handy for situations like this.

The driver got out, smiling. He looked about seventeen or eighteen, and for a second, she had the uneasy feeling it was Luke, no matter how impossible it was. Luke was her friend back at camp before he betrayed them all. He sided with Kronos and now they're waging wars with each other concerning the end of the gods. The driver had the same sandy hair and outdoorsy good looks. However, he was taller and had no scar on his face like Luke. His smile was brighter and more playful. Luke didn't do more than scowl and sneer these days. The Maserati driver wore jeans and loafers and a sleeveless T-shirt.

"Wow," Thalia muttered. "Apollo is hot."

"You might be right on that one," Elora mumbled.

"He's the sun god," Percy said.