Chapter 22

"Whatdo you think they intend to do with us?"

A wavering femalevoice roused Stella. She massaged her throbbing temples andstruggled to sit up. To her complete amazement, she found herself ina cell with Ella Cinder and Nicholas Monarch. Directly across fromwhere she pulled herself up to lean against a filthy stone wall, wasa cell containing Cailyn, Aspen, and Kimberly. A situation she'dthought couldn't possibly get worse, had just worsened.

After all, beingkilled by a psycho killer was certainly terrible. But being keptalive by one for an unknown reason was almost certainly worse.

"What do youthink?" said Kimberly Crimson bitterly; responding to thequestion Cailyn Pure had just posed. "They will torture us all,until we die from it!"

"We must findan escape!" Cailyn insisted, pacing about the cell. "Theyare far outnumbered. We can make a plan, and overpower them!"

Stella began toblubber again. Ella and Nicholas rushed to flank her, and eachencircle her with one arm.

"Shhhh,"Ella cooed. "I know, I know. It's terribly scary when youfirst wake up.

Stella peered intoElla's face to find it mutilated by a network of ugly red, jaggedcuts. She couldn't bring herself to ask Ella what had happened. Theknowledge of it might bring her to an official end of her sanity.

Her otherclassmates pressed against their cell bars to watch her.

"Does... Doesanyone know if my boyfriend Eric Prince is here?" Stella asked. "Please tell me that he's here!"

The mention of Ericmade Nicholas jerk back. He paced angrily around the cell and thendrew back and punched the wall.

"Wh-what's thematter with him?" Stella exclaimed.

Ella frowned as shestared into Stella's face.

"Dear, didEric have some sort of accident or something?" Cailyn askedgently.

Stella moaned. "Yes, he... He... Hurt his eyes in a fall."

All the prisonerscollectively cried out at the epiphany.

"What!?"Stella asked, growing hysterical. "What is it?"

After a long pause,Cailyn spoke as Ella took Stella's hand and squeezed it tightly. "While you were sleeping, they... They came and tied Nicholasto that spinning wheel thing over there," Cailyn explained,gesturing her head toward one of the torture devices outside thecell. "We didn't know whose they were but... They madeNicholas eat a set of eyes..."

Stella's shriekingcries brought every single one of them to tears.