Chapter 15

Aftera restless night's sleep wrought with nightmares, Aspen and herparents shared a quiet and forlorn Christmas morning. They exchangedgifts in the light of the Christmas tree that ultimately, theywouldn't even be able to take with them since the car could onlyaccommodate essentials. Mrs. Briar prepared a lovely lunch but allany of them could do was pick at their food until it grew cold andwas eventually shoveled into the trash can.

In the lateafternoon, Aspen informed her parents she was going to take a nap inher room to prepare for their travels. Both mother and father kissedher head and gave her hugs before she retreated to her room.

Aspen lay down onher bed, but suddenly an idea occurred to her. She'd wracked herbrains trying to think of a way to convince her parents not to run. She felt that maybe if they went to the authorities, that maybesomeone would believe them... Would help them... Would protectAspen in a way that didn't involve fleeing the only home she'd everloved. Plus, she still didn't believe this psycho could actually usesome sort of magic to kill her. So, to her, it seemed all theyneeded was an important ally.

And she knew justwho to call.

She used her cellphone to dial information. When prompted, she said, "Madre Bar,Faraway, Washington."

Mrs. Bar was abeloved confidant of Faraway's high school student population. Itoften puzzled Aspen that such a nice lady would have such a peculiarson. But despite the fact that Benjamin seemed a bit troubled, Aspenknew she could trust Mrs. Bar. She felt that Mrs. Bar would believeher, and help.

The automatedinformation service provided Mrs. Bar's phone number and asked ifAspen would like to be directly connected. With a nervous flutteringheart, Aspen selected one for yes.

"Hello?"

"Hello. Mrs.Bar?"

"Yes?"

Aspen sighed withrelief. "Mrs. Bar! I'm so glad to reach you! I feel terribleto bother you on Christmas, but it's urgent. I need your help."

After Aspenconfessed the whole sordid tale to her guidance counselor in a hushedvoice, she was immensely relieved to find that Mrs. Bar believed her. Even better, Mrs. Bar seemed optimistic and certain that she couldhelp.

"I thinkyou're absolutely correct, Aspen," Mrs. Bar said. "Youshouldn't run. Together, we can protect you. Here's what I think. Why don't you give me your address? In a couple of hours, I willcome by, and I'll hash this out with your folks. I'll convince themto contact the authorities, and I'll stay right there with them tohelp look over you. What about that, dear?"

Aspen could've weptwith her relief. "Yes, Mrs. Bar," she said. "Yes! Thank you so much."

She gave the kindconfidant her address and disconnected the call to await her arrival.

***

The entire Briarfamily reconvened a couple hours later in their living room afterthey'd all rested. The car was loaded and they were all ready to go,but they had several hours left to wait before hitting the road. So,they decided to just spend a little time watching TV together, andtrying to enjoy their last few moments in Faraway.

Aspen said nothingabout her expected visitor, as she and Mrs. Bar had agreed it shouldbe a surprise. But she excitedly awaited a knock at the door, or thechime of the bell. However, more and more time passed. Darknessfell outside, and gloom settled over the home.

She found herselffeeling tired again. In fact, she could barely keep her eyes open,despite the nap she'd taken. She glanced at her parents and noticedthem both nodding off. It occurred to her that something wasn'tright. Something wasn't making sense. Her head was heavy and foggy. But, she was unable to latch onto a coherent thought.

Moments later, Mr.Briar leaned forward, appearing as though he struggled to stand. Instead of rising, however, Mr. Briar tipped forward and collapsedface first onto the floor.

"Daddy?"Aspen said groggily. She wanted to leap up and rush to her father'said, but found her feet seemed to weigh a thousand pounds. But then,her mother who slowly reached out as though attempting to help herhusband, also tipped forward. She collapsed on top of Mr. Briar,absolutely dead to the world.

Aspen struggled toher feet and took labored breaths and extraordinarily heavy stepsforward. Suddenly it occurred to her. There must be some sort ofleak in the air causing them to pass out. She headed toward thewindow, desperately wanting to let in fresh air.

However, she tookonly two steps before crumpling onto the floor.

The memory ofMelanie's spooky face assaulted her mind as she drifted off to sleep.

***

"I'm not sureit's a good idea, Benjamin," Madre Bar said, glancing into therear view mirror at her son who brooded darkly in the back seat. Shesighed, wishing the boy would for once just ride up front with herinstead of treating her like a lowly chauffeur. "Hasn't Mommyprovided you with enough playthings for now, Son? Why don't we justlet these folks alone?"

He simply continuedto stare out the window and shamelessly ignore her. Mrs. Bar sigheddeeply.

As she swung ontoAspen Briar's street, she noted an extraordinarily tall and wispyform walking away from the very address she herself approached. Theperson seemed to glide like some sort of apparition. Her long blackdress dragged in the snow so that she left no footsteps. The formwas so odd and out of place, Mrs. Bar temporarily questioned her ownsanity.

She pulled to astop in Aspen's driveway which circled around to the back of thehouse and ultimately left Madre's car out of sight. Which was arelief. She sighed again. "I'll be right back, Benjamin."

***

Moments later,Madre Bar rushed out the back door of the Briar residence, with abody slung over her shoulder. With an uncharacteristic burst ofactivity, Benjamin opened the door and jumped out into the snow. Mrs. Bar stumbled to the car and plopped the body into the back seat.

Benjamin stareddown at an unconscious Aspen Briar sprawled on the seat.

"Unbelievable!"Mrs. Bar exclaimed.

"What?"asked Benjamin.

As she ran aroundthe car to hop in the driver's seat, she demanded her son get in aswell, and he complied. She fired up the engine and hurriedly pulledout of the driveway and let out a squeal of laughter.

"Her parents! They're already dead!"

Benjamin frowned. "Is she dead?"

"No! Justpassed out. It smelled funny in there, I think there must've been agas leak! How about that for a stroke of good luck!?"

Benjamin giggledgleefully as a child. "Saved us a bit of trouble didn't it?"

She gave him asideways smile and warmth pooled in her chest. She loved these rareloving exchanges with Benjamin and his simple delight. Seeing hissmile was more than enough to reaffirm that she was doing the rightthing to give him whatever his heart desired.

No matter how darkhis desires may be.

***

When Aspen awoke,the first thing that registered was the sound of weeping. Multipleweeping female voices. And one angry shouting male voice and somesort of clanging metal. She struggled to drag her eyes open. Herface was pointed to her right, and she became instantly confused asshe recognized Nicholas Monarch bashing himself into the bars of acell. At his feet, Ella Cinder cowered on the floor bawling. And ina cell right next to them, Cailyn Pure did the same.

"UNTIE HER!"Nicholas raged. "GET IN HERE YOU SICK MONSTERS! UNTIE HER!"

She shook her head,struggling out from under a fog. Aren't the three of themsupposed to be missing, Aspen thought. And why is Nicholas soangry? Who is he talking about? Who is tied up?

But then Aspentried to move her hands. And her feet. And then she realized, shewas the one who was tied up.

She began toscream.