Chapter 2

Inno time, Zoe Locke became an expert cat burglar.

So expert in fact,to her knowledge, none of her crimes were even detected. She wasdisciplined in her craft. She always refrained from taking too muchfrom one home. She had a gift for finding cash and that was normallyall she took. Often she didn't even take it all. Occasionally she'dsnitch an item to later sell on EBay. Never anything too bigto fit in her pockets and nothing too unique that would be easilyrecognized.

Basically shethought of herself as a mischievous elf, sneaking into homes toplayfully trifle with their belongings. She often daydreamed aboutmothers and fathers, scratching their heads wondering where they puttheir golden ring, or diamond bracelet. Or driving themselvesslightly mad because they THOUGHT SURE there'd been one hundred; notsixty dollars, in the cookie jar. She'd giggle as she imagined herown classmates being accused by their parents of pilfering.

At school, shebecame a veritable private investigator. She eavesdropped at everyopportunity on her classmates. Anytime she overheard anybodymentioning plans out with their family, she took note. Then, if shedidn't already know where they lived, she found out. And somehowalways managed to find a way into their homes as if by magic. Itparticularly delighted Zoe to steal from her own classmates. Inthose special times, she felt a little bolder, a little morereckless. Sometimes from the home of a classmate she might actuallysteal an article of clothing to later be worn at school. Or eat foodright from her cupboards, seated in whatever spot at the table sheimagined to be theirs.

At home, Zoeacquired little by little, the things in life she'd always missed. She bought a computer. And by posing as her mother, she orderedInternet service, a luxury she'd never been privy to. The cupboardswere no longer bare. And as Christmas approached, she bought aChristmas tree and turned her shabby home into a cozy festive place. In her rare encounters with her mother, the changes were nevermentioned and presumably unnoticed. Zoe remained invisible throughit all. And for once, she was happy that not a soul noticed her.

***

Shortly after Zoegot the hang of petty theft activities and recognized she was quitegood at her craft, she became obsessed with Benjamin Bar.

Not in any typicalteenaged crush type fashion. On no. What Zoe saw in Benjamin Barwas the ultimate score. Benjamin and his family represented theepitome of Faraway's upper echelon. His mother, Madre Bar, was wellknown and loved as the high school counselor. And his father, well,who knew exactly what Abraham Bar did. But whatever it was, itprovided obscene wealth. Not that Benjamin was the sort whonecessarily exuded wealth. But Zoe had an eye for these things.

He was a tall andrather well built senior. With his thick, wavy, black hair, chiseledface, and piercing dark eyes, he might have been very appealing, wereit not for his rather unappealing personality. Benjamin wasnever mean or even unkind to anybody. He made good enough marks tobe thought of as smart. There was just something vacant abouthim. He was the sort of teen who would normally be popular. He'd bethe sort of guy all the guys wanted to be friends with and all thegirls wanted to date. Except that his peers had been alienated byhis oddness as early as Kindergarten. He existed on the fringe ofthe "in" crowd but Zoe observed he had no close ties toanybody. He never dated. He participated in extracurricularactivities and fared well, but he demonstrated no real passion orambition for anything. He seemed to always be pondering somethingother than whatever he was doing at the time. Detached. Aloof. Cold.

But Zoe knew hecame from a place that seemed for all practical purposes, enchanted. As a child, she had loved to play in Faraway Forest. She'd beentruly at one with nature and would spend sun up to sun down exploringthe quiet wood. Over the years, she'd gotten to know every nuance ofit and that's how she'd found Benjamin's house.