Chapter 11

Theirincidents of self-mutilation became more and more disturbing. Havingonly just met the Dark twins, Nicholas couldn't help feelingconcerned and alarmed. Whenever another event was staged for hisbenefit, he responded with compassionate lectures, calling thembeautiful creatures who deserved self-respect.

Lexi began bywearing a corset. Brittany pulled the laces so tight Ella thoughtsurely that Lexi's bones would break. Meanwhile, fresh cuts appearedall over Brittany and the older wounds crusted, bruised, and scarred.

Then Lexi beganbinging and purging. She made a huge production of making herselfill, complete with shrieking sobs and wallowing on the bathroomfloor. Again, her antics were completely unlike any person whogenuinely suffered from such and affliction.

And Brittanyquickly escalated to slamming her appendages in doors. She couldoften be found with bruised, swollen fingers and toes, limping andwincing painfully.

"Why? Why doyou do these things?" Nicholas would plead woefully.

"Because Ihate myself!" one or the other of the twins would wail. Andthen he'd soothe and comfort them.

Through it all,Ella looked on in a constant state of worry, wondering where it wouldall lead. They had to know he would never love either of them. Evenif he didn't love Ella, he would never love them. He was acompassionate soul. But he knew ugliness when he saw it.

Late one night asChristmas approached, Nicholas stole into her room after the otherswent to sleep, as he often did. They left the door slightly ajar tolet in some heat from the fireplace. He sat next to her on her bed.

"What is theirdeal?" he asked.

Ella shrugged. "Who knows? They never acted like this before you came here,Nicholas."

He frowned. "Ifeel terrible. Like it's my fault, or something."

Ella felt sad andkissed his cheek. "It's not your fault. I know it's hard. Butmaybe if you don't give them so much attention for it, they'll stop."

"But Ella! Ifeel terrible! I think they need help! Why doesn't their mother getthem help?"

Ella groaned andanger sparked within her. "I don't know. Because she's nutstoo! There is no help for those three. They're awful. I'm justtrying to make it to my eighteenth birthday then I'm out!"

Nicholas stood toapproach her, as she'd stalked across the room to lean against thewall and stare out the window. He pulled her into his arms. "OK. I'm sorry. I know you're right." He kissed her temple and herrigid body relaxed against him. "Hey, Ella? Would you go tothe winter formal with me?"

Ella gasped anddrew away from him. Her cheeks colored prettily. "Oh Nicholas! I'd love to! But you know I can't. They never let me go anywhere."

Nicholas smirked. "Well, don't ask. We'll just do it."

She began totremble. The prospect of defying them in this way, to go to thedance at all, let alone with Nicholas... It terrified her. Yet, atthe same time, it excited her to think of an evening spent dancing inhis arms.

"But... Howwould we get there? And... And... What would we wear? Oh I don'tknow, Nicholas..."

He cupped her facein his hands. "Shhh... Settle down, princess," he teased. "Somebody from school will pick us up, I'm sure. And as forwhat to wear, well let's be creative!"

She ponderedbriefly. "There are a ton of the twins' old clothes in theattic. Maybe I can be creative. Repurpose old stuff into anew beautiful gown."

Nicholas beamed. "That's the spirit," he said.

***

Ella rose early andstole up the attic. She quietly rooted around until she found thetrash bags full of Brittany and Lexi's cast off clothing. It amazedher to find scads of designer items, some with the tags still onthem. She found dresses galore that could easily be altered to fither. Her eyes widened when she came upon a silky periwinkle dressthat had once belonged to Brittany. And then she found a tackyfluffy dress thing, made of shimmering silver material and accentedwith glittering white tulle that was Lexi's size. The garments wereboth wretchedly gaudy and poorly cut. But Ella knew she couldrefashion them into a thing of beauty.

She took thedresses back downstairs and tucked them under her bed. Then sherushed to do her morning chores.

Ella raced throughher day, eager to return to her room under the veil of night and makeher dress. She scarcely noticed the twins' shenanigans of the dayand ignored their rude remarks and evil stares entirely. All shecould think of was Nicholas and the dance. And creating her gown.

Finally, when thehouse slept again, Nicholas returned to her room. He chuckled whenshe showed him what she'd selected. But then he watched her as sheskillfully cut and sewed. In no time, a gown fit for a queen hadbeen created. Or at least, fit for a princess.

"Wow, Ella,"he marveled as she held the dress against herself as if to model it. "I can't believe it. You're very talented! And you're going tobe the most beautiful princess at the ball."

Ella giggled. Itcracked her up how he always kidded that she was a princess.

***

When Nicholas snuckinto her room the next night, he was carrying a box which he handedto her. "At my last place, I had a job, so I have a littlemoney saved up," Nicholas said. "I saw these in a windowdowntown and had to get them for you. They're perfect for yourdress."

Ella gasped andpeered up at him. She couldn't even recall the last time she'dreceived a gift of any kind. And certainly never from a handsome boy. She removed the box's lid.

Inside a pair ofshoes lay nestled in tissue paper.

They were highheels with a shimmering silver bottom. Made of clear plastic, theylooked like glass. The heels were accented with glitter and fauxdiamonds. They were beautiful and he was correct; perfect for herdress.

She threw her armsaround him. "Oh Nicholas! I can't believe you did this for me. Thank you!" Emotion bubbled up inside her and she bothlaughed, and cried.