Chapter 30: "good job, Jocelyn."

Start from the beginning

"I have an idea who, but I'm not going to tell you," Dion said as he hid his smile. Emilia nudges Dion's arm, which shuts him up.

"Despite the characters being based on real-life, it's only a fantasy. It doesn't mean Joy would get shot or even Martin would shoot anyone," Claude said, joking. Although, he will shoot anyone who goes in his way.

One time I got caught with my old boyfriend. He almost killed one of them. He always addressed himself as my second brother. Older than me but younger than Dion.

"I hope he won't do that," My father said as he took a sip of his wine, "what do you think of her life?"

She turned her attention to me as she observed my existence, "she's like a locked chest, and once you opened it, you were not interested in the value of the treasure. You were interested in the background of each treasure.," I saw her smirking at me, "What makes her special is that she's engaged at such a young age- not that I'm judging and she's also keeping her life a secret from anyone. Once I got her to speak about her life to me, it was like I had unlocked something inside me."

"And that is?"

"I feel like I was, for once, useful to anyone," Claude said, leaving my father baffled. He nods at Claude in understanding.

Then, the following sentence that came out of my father's mouth made my body stiffen, "good job, Jocelyn."

I look carefully at my father, "What?"

"Do I need to repeat myself?" My father asked and furrowed his eyebrows, "you have exceeded my expectation. No wonder your story was good. You got the perfect help for it," he said as he looked at Claude.

I felt myself smiling like a creep as I thought my cheeks must be getting red now. I saw Dion smiling at me as he was also as happy as I was, along with Emilia.

I never thought to hear it straight from his mouth.

I have exceeded his expectations.

I'm not going to ask what his expectations were because I want to enjoy his praise for once.

I saw Claude's hand grasp my thigh and smiled. She understood I'd reached a milestone with my father.

Praise.

Something that I rarely obtained from my father.

Then I heard footsteps coming, and I saw Ben whispering to my father's ears. Once he was done, my father regained his attention to us, "I was informed that there's a blizzard right now. I suggest you stay for the night because I don't think the guest can drive at night."

Claude widened her eyes at the news, "I don't mind driving at the nighttime."

"It's a blizzard, Claude. The snow will cover the roads, and they won't clear the road at night," My father said.

"That's great! We could continue your studies from where we left off," Dion said.

"Studies? You're teaching her?" my father asked.

"Yes, I am. Is that right, Harris?" Dion said as he raised his eyebrow at Claude for an answer.

"That's right. I am studying physics with your son, Mr Wayne," Claude said as I tried not to laugh. I wonder what they're doing whenever Dion takes her to 'study.' I don't believe that they're studying physics because, if I recall, she likes calculus.

"Good then, you have yourself occupied here while it's storming outside," my father said, and for a moment, he continued to speak, "anyway, I'm hosting a White Elephant party, and I was hoping you would come? I just thought teenagers of your age should have a lot of acquaintances."