Chapter 28: "the play is about her life."

CLAUDE'S P.O.V

(When the first scene starts)

Joy kept her eyes locked on the stage behind the curtain, and she kept walking back to the technician to check if they had turned on the proper lights. I didn't want to disturb her focus on them. This is important for her. She didn't want to fuck it up. She needs this to be perfect.

"Claude," I heard someone call my name. I searched for the sound source, and I saw Lydia sitting on the couch with her head in her hand. I approached her and sat next to her, "I'm sorry."

"It's alright. Maggie is still your understudy," I spoke.

"No, I mean. I'm sorry to force her to choose me instead of Maggie. I know Joy has already prepared the perfect play for me, but I just had to drink a lot last night," Lydia forced a laugh.

Force her?

"What are you talking about, Lydia?" I asked her.

Lydia sighed while she drank her water bottle, "Back at the homecoming after-party. I took a picture of the guy that picked her up."

Is she talking about Martin? I knew he would be a trouble for coming to that party. He's a heartless piece of shit. I narrowed my eyes at Lydia as I continued, "what did you do with the photo, Lydia?"

"I blackmailed her. I know how she's keeping her life a secret, and I wanted her to choose me for the play. If she didn't choose me, I would send this to the journalists club and put it in the school newspaper."

I was stunned to hear what she said as I watched Joy stress herself. I shouldn't have pushed Joy to choose Maggie if this is why she chooses Lydia. She must be overthinking the blackmail a lot. She doesn't want anyone to know that she has a fiancee. I have to do something about this.

"Why?" I asked Lydia, "why did you have to blackmail her instead of showing her your talent?"

"I just thought she wouldn't choose me because I was your girlfriend," Lydia answered while fidgeting with her finger.

"That wouldn't be the reason for not choosing you, Lydia," I clenched my fist until my knuckles turned white. I felt rage flowing inside my body, "it's funny when you wanted to show me how crazy you are, yet you're looking so desperate right now."

I continued, "I told you to stay away from her. Including the guy you've used to blackmail her. You don't know what she's capable of. I'm suggesting you delete that photo immediately," I stood up and spoke for the last time before leaving, "seeing you this desperate only makes me grateful to myself for breaking up with you."

I walked around the audience seat as I found Martin in the last row and sat next to him. It's weird to see him wearing casual clothes when he always wears a suit, "Martin," I spoke to grab his attention.

He didn't turn his face towards me, but he knew who I was, "Claude, what brings you here?"

"I should be asking that question," I said to him.

Martin sighed, "I must say, Jocelyn has made an exciting story since the play is about her life. Aurora is her, Prince Leo is me, the king is her father, and I wonder who Philips is," he turned his head dramatically.

I ignored his remarks, "why are you here, Martin? Where is her father?"

"He's in front of me," he said as he pointed at the person in front of him. I didn't know it was Wayne because he wore casual clothes, he was sitting next to Dion and Emilia- I figured by his blonde hair, "and I'm here because her father wants to. I wouldn't suggest to come here while I have something better to do."