Chapter 25: Set the bond, Claude

I know everything about Joy. Everything about her father, how she got abused by her fiancee, and how her mother died. But, I still tend to ask her about her life because I want her to feel how it feels like to open up to someone and let them help with her problems. She's fragile, easy to be break just by one single word.

Fiancee.

Father.

Mother.

And I would never abuse my power to get my way with her. I will always be patient whenever she starts to open up about her life. I would never force her to talk. One day, I believe she will open up to me and finally, this day has come out sooner than I thought.

I am at her mother's house, where no one knows.

"My mother died due to cancer, and my father was deeply depressed. My father thought if he left all my mother's legacy, the pain would lessen, but you know it didn't work," Joy laughed bitterly. It explains why everything is still here, and the only thing that is not here is the family photo, "He began to shut everyone out of his life, even his children."

I stayed silent, letting her talk, "the last time I saw his sorrow was when he was staring at the family photo, holding a glass of wine without spilling any tears. He was shut, and the only thing that could open his door was himself."

"I can see why you hide your life from everyone," I said to her, and she nodded.

"Do you believe me when I say he was a family man?" Joy asked, and I shook my head, "he loved my mother very much and thought they were meant to be together. Just a single thing happened, changed his life."

"Your mother's passing was not just a single thing that happened. It must be tough for your father."

"But, it was also challenging for my brother and me. He's not alone. Why does he think he is? He never cared about me whenever I was sad or hurt," her tears were streaming faster. I took her hand and caressed the back of her hand.

"When did you move out?" I asked her carefully.

"When I was ten years old."

I sighed and brushed her arm, "it must be hard for you."

Joy gave another bitter laugh, "Do you know why I hate being called Jocelyn?"

"Why?" I asked even though I knew the answer.

"Because all the people I hate call me by my name, not my nickname."

I brought my hand to her face and wiped her tears away but not her sorrow. I took her face so she faced me clearly, "let me tell you something, Joy. You're the strongest person I've ever known."

"How can you say that?" She asked, and her nose started to get redder.

"You're still alive now and standing in front of me. I know you're strong," I spoke to her, "you should be proud of yourself."

Joy smiled and looked down to her feet. She took my hand from my face, "you hands are cold. Do you need the coat back?"

I shook my head immediately, "no, please. Wear it."

Joy took off the coat and put it around my body, but she didn't stop. She went inside and wrapped the overcoat around our bodies. I chuckled at the gesture and hugged her body to give her warmth. Joy sighed before speaking, "out of seven billion people in the world, I choose to open up to you."

"They say it's destiny," I said as we looked at the scenery. It was cold and yet, calm simultaneously. Then a couple of seconds, I decided to speak, "do you regret opening up to me?"