Chapter 3: "... She always hated this day."

Left to right: Jessie Miles, Lydia Todd, Claude Harris, Jocelyn Wright, Wayne Wright (Joy Father), Martin Clifford, and Kinsley

~~~

"Welcome back, Claude."

I opened my eyes to see Kinsley standing in front of me. I stood up instantly and grabbed her by the collar, "you better explain how I got to my house and how I got a superpower."

"This is how you greet someone?" Kinsley plastered a smirk on her face. I let go of her, and she patted her clothes, "you won't remember anything before you got into Joy's memories."

"Why not?" I ask as I cross my arm.

"Well... It's a lot to explain," Kinsley said as she scratched the back of her neck, "you kinda deserve an explanation since I'm going to screw up your brain a lot."

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrow in confusion.

"I really can't explain entirely to you about how this works. But, don't worry, you won't get this dream a lot. Just think of this as a lucid dream," Kinsley explained, "and I'll tell you one piece of information every time we meet."

"Why don't you just come to my house and explain it to my face?"

"I can't. I'm basically inside you now. You can only meet me in Joy's memories," Kid added, "I have already made every dream enough information for your to handle, and I can't add more."

I sighed, giving in, "Where are we anyway?" I asked Kinsley.

"Still at Joy's," Kinsley responds.

I look around to see the room. It's a massive room with the chandelier in the middle and the dining table under it. I can see Joy and another family sitting across while eating their steaks- except Joy, she's eating healthy food that I don't understand. Also, I didn't see her mom here. Mr Wright is in the middle of the end of the table, and another man is sitting on the other end. Behind Mr Wright, there's a fireplace, and above there's a massive painting of ten-year-old Joy and her family, including her... Brother? Maybe that's Dion, the guy that Joy mentioned.

I approached the dining table to listen to their conversation.

"Martin. How did it go in Harvard?" Mr. Wright asked.

The guy at the other end answered, "It was great, father-in-law. I have reached the highest GPA in the last semester," Martin replied. Well, this is the face of Joy's fiancee. He has messy brown hair a beard, but he still looked pretty neat with his suit.

"Show off," Joy's voice echoed inside my head. I stifle a laugh. I can't be more agreeable with Joy.

"That's great, Martin. You'll be the perfect successor for me and a good husband for my daughter," Mr. Wright said, and Joy didn't respond.

"Shut up."

"I believe in my son too," Mr. Clifford joins, "how about Jocelyn? When will she graduate from high school?"

"Well, she's still in sophomore year, George. It would help if you were patient," Mr. Wright responded and laughed.

"Gosh, are you listening to yourself, people? You sound like a child molester," Joy voiced in my head. It's sad to see her getting matched by their parents underage.

"How about your son, Dion? I haven't seen him since he left Oxford for his PhD," Mrs. Clifford asked.

"He's doing a fantastic job there. Even though he hasn't come home for a year because he's always busy," Mr Wright responded.

"Nonsense. He hates you, and he always calls me and flies here every time he's free," Joy thought. Does Joy live behind her brother's shadow? Like in the movies, the older sibling is always better than the younger ones. Thank God I'm an only child in my house.