Chapter 23: "how can you be this perfect?"

CLAUDE'S P.O.V

(a week later)

I've never felt so anxious and panicked at the same time until this day. Today I'll be going to Dion's graduation party, and the first thing we'll be doing is going to the airport to meet Dion there. I've texted him once, and he said I need to be chill when I meet their father. The famous businessman Wayne Wright is the father of Jocelyn Wright. My soulmate. I hope I didn't give him a wrong first impression.

"I can't come with you?!" Jessie cried on the phone.

"Invitation only, honey."

"Fine," I can feel her pouting, "what does her brother look like? Is he hot?"

"Pull up your pants, Jess. He has a fiancee," I said to the phone.

"Can you tell me how did it go after?"

"Sure, I'll call you the first thing I woke up tomorrow morning."

"Oh, make sure you're waking up at Joy's bed. Love you!"

"I hate you too," I said to her and ended the call. I looked at the clock, and Joy will arrive in an hour. I wore the same outfit I had at Homecoming, and I added a black suit just how Joy wanted. I grabbed my black overcoat and went downstairs.

I saw my dad choke on his drink when he saw my outfit, "you look... sharp. Are you sure it's a graduation party?"

"A party of a rich businessman whose son got a PhD from Oxford."

"Ohh, classy. How did you get associated with a rich family?" My mom asked while sipping her wine, "it sounds shady."

"Oh right, cause I'm working for a mafia mom," I said sarcastically, and my parents stopped from whatever they were doing, "do you think I'm working for a mafia? Please, it's Mr. Wayne's party."

"Don't worry, honey, we still love you," my mom said as I rolled my eyes. Suddenly I heard the doorbell go off and I immediately recognised who it was.

I opened the door and was greeted by an angel wearing a white dress, and her hair was in a tight bun, "H- hi," I greeted awkwardly—good job, Claude, "you look beautiful."

"You don't look so bad yourself, Harris," Joy laughed, and I saw a smirk forming on her lips, "and you wear a suit."

"Well, you said I'd look good in a suit, so... Why not?" I said, grinning. Joy leaned closer and pecked my cheeks. I can feel my face getting hotter from the minor gesture.

"Is that you, Joy?" My mom asked from behind me. I stepped away from the door, so my parents could see Joy, "my God, Joy, you look gorgeous," Joy gave my mother a genuine smile and thanked her.

"I can't believe I'm letting my daughter get picked up instead of getting there by herself," my dad said jokingly, but I take that seriously.

"Dad," I glare at him, and he laughs.

"You look good, Joy. Next time, let Claude drive herself," my dad said as he shook Joy's hand.

"Thank you, Charles. It's not a problem," Joy said, waving it off.

"I'm off now. I'll be back before you know it," I said to my parents. After I kissed them goodbye, I entered Joy's tesla, and we left my neighbourhood. It was silent on the way, but Joy finally spoke something.

"I like your parents," I saw her smirking while her eyes focused on the road.

"Me too," I said, agreeing. Even if my parents always embarrassed me in front of anyone. But they're still my parents, "if you enjoy them so much, you can come over to my house sometimes."