C H A P T E R 5 5

Boggs, Katniss, Gale, Haymitch, Effie and Katniss' crew all came up to the surface to find nothing but rubble and white roses.

"Why would they drop these?" Gale asks dumbfounded.

"For me," Katniss replies.

"Ready to go Katniss?" Cressida asks. "We're gonna do this, just like District 8," she encourages the girl. "Tell me about the roses." Katniss looks like she's about to throw up. "Tell Snow 13 is alive and well."

"He's gonna kill Peeta. He's gonna kill them," Katniss says, barely above a whisper. "I can't, I can't do this," she kept repeating those words.

Katniss' breathing became shaky and unsteady and she stumbled her way away from the group as the thought of her friends dead filled her mind.

Haymitch found Katniss hiding and informed her that they were planning a rescue mission.

"The dam went down in 5, took out most of the power to the Capitol. Knocked out their signal defence. Beetee's inside their system now, wreaking all kinds of havoc. A window is open to us. How much longer? I don't know. I guess until the Capitol can get power back on."

"And President Coin?"

"You know, I can never fully support that woman in light of the prohibition they have going on around this place, but Plutarch got word that Peeta and the others are in the Tribute Centre. And with the power out, Coin sees this as an opportunity. She knows that Peeta is the Capitol's weapon, as well as Jessica used to be. The same way you're ours. And as opposed to having you guys pointing at each other, she's going to get them back."

Meanwhile, Cressida leads Finnick up to the surface where lights and cameras are set up to be the new diversion, "okay, Finnick?"

"Yeah. Yeah." Cressida positions him in the centre of the lights and roses as she instructed the crew on where to stand.

He focussed on his steadying his breathing rather than the bright lights.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Repeat.

The breathing exercise Jessica taught him when he felt an upcoming panic attack.

"Okay? Finnick? Cressida asks, taking in Finnick's dazed, anxious expression.

Finnick swallows and nods, "yeah." He clears his throat, preparing himself to speak.

"Take your time. Just remember to keep talking and don't stop." He pushed down his nerves and anxiety and put on his strong, Capitol face, ignoring his shaking hands. He had to do this. For Jessica.

He took a few breaths, preparing himself to speak.

"This is Finnick Odair. Winner of the 65th Hunger Games," he spoke slowly. "And I'm coming to you from District 13, alive and well. We've survived an assault from the Capitol. But I'm not here to give you the recent news."

Everyone from District 13 to the Capitol could hear and watch as Finnick Odair, the man who was once the Capitol's Golden Boy, revealed the truth.

"The truth. Not the myths about a life of luxury. Not the lie about glory for your homeland. You can survive the arena. The moment you leave, you're a slave."

Finnick spoke purposely slowly, as instructed, to ensure the rescue volunteer team had as much time as possible to give them as good a chance as possible. If they wouldn't let him go with the team, he'd do as much as he can to help from thirteen.

"President Snow used to sell me. Or my body, at least. I wasn't the only one. I speak on behalf of not only myself, but other desired victors such as Jessica Miller. If a Victor is considered desirable, the President gives them as a reward or allows people to buy them. If you refuse, he kills someone you love."

Katniss, who was watching from the Command room, gasped in pure disgust and fear as she heard the truth about her friends' lives and watched the team pass through perimeter defence.

"To make themselves feel better, my patrons would make presents of money or jewellery. But I found a much more valuable form of payment. Secrets."

The volunteer rescue team approached the Tribute Centre where the Victors were being kept.

"See, I know all the depravity, the deceit and the cruelty of the Capitol's pampered elite. But the biggest secrets are about our good President, Coriolanus Snow. Such a young man when he rose to power. Such a clever one to keep it. How, you may ask, did he do it? One word. Poison."

The team prepare to drop.

"He stopped every mutiny before it even started."

The rescue team reach the ground and declare it clear. They head toward their first target.

"There are so many mysterious deaths to adversaries. Even to allies who were threats. Snow would drink from the same cup to deflect suspicion. But antidotes don't always work, which is why he wears roses that reek of perfume. Help cover the scent of blood from sores in his mouth that will never heal."

Katniss watches from the Command centre as Gale and Boggs lead the group through another set of doors into a lab full of equipment.

"But he can't hide the scent of who he really is. He kills without mercy. He rules with deception and fear. His weapon of choice is the only thing suited to such a man. Poison. The perfect weapon for a snake."

A screech is heard as the lights flash back on. The Capitol were gaining power. Beetee concludes that they are diverting power from another source and filtering transmissions. They had 60 seconds before cut off.

They decide to put Katniss on air to prolong the distraction.

Katniss begins to speak with Snow as Beetee successfully contacts Boggs.

The team reach the first target, Peeta Mellark.

Back in Jessica Miller's cell, she lays on the ground, beaten almost to death, her back covered in blood and her body littered in bruises, both old and new. She faintly hears footsteps and fights unconsciousness. She can't bare any more. Using all her energy to force her eyelids to remain open.

Finnick Odair and Katniss Everdeen sat next to each other, Katniss staring into space, Finnick focussing his gaze on the rope he was tying in his hands. Neither spoke. There was no comfort they could bring each other.

The door opens, revealing a sober Haymitch, "they're back."

AN: my girl is finally back! so happy