C H A P T E R 3 1

As evidence of their allegiance, Haymitch gifted Finnick with his gold bangle and Jessica with Peeta's medallion which, after they join up together, she will give back to Peeta in the game.

He told them to tell Katniss 'who the real enemy is' if she forgets their allegiance.

That night, Finnick and Jessica slept embraced in each other for what could be the last time.

Once on the plane, their trackers are implanted and they leave.

"The suit is lightweight. No thermal. So I'd guess tropics or desert."

"That'll be a fun change of scenery," she jokes, lightening the mood, at the comparison to the icy environment of her last games.

60 seconds to launch.

"You've got this, girlie, I still believe in you," he slips her ombré pebble necklace around her neck, also noticing the golden one but not asking, as Jessica tucks it under her suit. She steps into the tube. He placed his hand on the glass as she returned the favour, just as they had five years ago.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Repeat.

'Let the 75th Hunger Games begin. May the odds be ever in your favour.'

10

Breathe in.

9

Breathe out.

8

Breathe in.

7

Breathe out.

6

Breathe in.

5

Breathe out.

4

Breathe in.

3

Breathe out.

2

Breathe in.

1

Dive.

AN: let the games begin.