C H A P T E R 2 3

The time had come. The 75th Annual Hunger Games, aka the Quarter Quell. Jessica and Finnick were sat on the couch, Finnicks arm lazily thrown over the couch besides Jessica's head, Mags sat besides them, smiling over at the two occasionally. Annie, and her now fiancé Callum, sat on the other side of the couch. Johanna had been sitting on another couch when Jacob plonked himself down next to her, she had rolled her eyes but, if you watched carefully, you'd notice that she leant into him ever so slightly. Kylo was sat on the floor by Jessica.

All of the District 4 Victors (plus Jessicas family seeing as they were in the Miller house) and Johanna ,who spent more time in 4 than she did 7, gathered together, waiting for Snow to reveal the big 'Quarter Quell super special twist' this time.

'Ladies and gentlemen, this is the 75th year of The Hunger Games. And it was written in the charter of the games that every 25 years, there would be a Quarter Quell to keep fresh for each new generation the memory of those who died in the uprising against the Capitol. Each Quarter Quell is distinguished by Games of special significance. And now on this, the 75th anniversary of our defeat of the rebellion, we celebrate the third Quarter Quell as a reminder that even the strongest cannot overcome the power of the Capitol. On this, the third Quarter Quell Games, the male and female Tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of Victors in each district. Victors shall present themselves on Reaping Day regardless of age, state of health or situation."

Annie started shaking, screaming 'no' over and over again as Callum soothed her though a worried expression was worn on his face.

Johanna and Jessica exchanged sympathetic glances towards each other before Johanna left the house, Jess' 26 year old brother, Jacob, watched her go with a sad look in his eyes before moving to sit on the floor and comfort Kylo, their almost 12 year old brother, who was fighting tears, afraid of losing his sister in the games, she was lucky to survive once but both brothers knew that neither Jessica, Finnick, Mags or Johanna would be able to harm each other.

Mags' eyes glossed over slightly but she remained completely calm as she helped to soothe Annie who was still in her breakdown.

The sobbing and screaming was drowned out as Jessica tried to focus on the rhythmic beating of the sea-green eyed, blonde haired boy who had swiftly pulled her into a hug as they silently cried into each other.

Finnick and Jessica sit on his bed in a comfortable silence.

"It's gonna be me," Jessica states in a plain voice, empty of emotion.

"You don't know that," he replied, but he knew what she meant.

"It can't be Annie, we know how much the first ones messed her up, she won't survive another. And Mags, she deserves to live her last years in peace, or as close as you can get to that at least."

No more words are exchanged for the rest of the night as they lay in bed, clinging onto each other as if their lives depended on it.

AN: 3rd quarter quell timeee