C H A P T E R 4

As the eighteen year old tribute, Jessica Miller, wiped her eyes and put on a small smile like she was alright, like the world hadn't just come crashing down upon her like a billion tons of bricks. She exited the same doors her brothers had just minutes prior and followed the peacekeeper to Elaine Rosewell, the escort, Finnick Odair, one of the mentors (and the infamous golden boy of the Capitol) and Mags Flanagan (a kind old woman) their other mentor.

She saw the young 12 year old boy on the floor in tears claiming he didn't want to go. As a peacekeeper approached, reaching to forcefully take him, Finnick stepped forward saying there was no need and that they'd get him up themselves. Mags was looking down at the boy with sympathetic eyes, unable to calm him and Elaine just looked stressed out, clearly not knowing how to handle a child.

Jessica stepped forward, past Finnick and Elaine, and knelt down in front of the young boy, "hi, I'm Jessica, your names Dale right?" She spoke in the softest tone possible not wanting to startle the boy. The same tone she used with Kylo when he had a bad dream or when Jacob would have a bad day at work.

The small boy sniffs and nods, raising his head from his arms and looking up at the girl with teary, fearful eyes.

"That's quite an interesting name, isn't it?" She asked, trying to distract the boy from his bad thoughts and get him talking, he nods again before speaking, "my mum named me after her dad, my grandpa."

"Isn't that sweet. Now, do you mind telling me what's upsetting you so much?"

There was a moment of silence before he spoke, surprising the victors, and escort, around them as they had been trying to get the boy to speak for quite a few minutes before she had showed. "I don't wanna die."

"Well, no one does. What makes you think you're gonna?"

"I'll be smaller, weaker and younger than all the others."

"Well there not bad things."

"I'll be an easy kill."

"Not necessarily. Your small, so you'll be able to hide in places others can't. Your younger so you'll have more energy and flexibility I'm sure, I bet your quite a fast runner too, huh?"

A small smile graces his lips as he nods.

"See! And we have a couple of days to train before we go in anyway. You'll be a pro by then."

At the mention of the arena, his smile falters slightly. Picking up on it, Jess speaks again, "let's take it one step at a time, yeah?" He nods warily. "The first step, nice and easy, all we have to do is follow Elaine to the car and get on the train. That doesn't sound so hard does it?" He shrugs, not wanting to leave, " and y'know what? I bet they have loads of nice stuff there waiting for us too, isn't that right?"

The 18 year old looks up at the people around her, her pleading eyes meeting Elaine's. Elaine catches on, flashing the two a wide smile, "of course, crystal chandeliers, platinum doorknobs, a wide selection of snacks, we have some cake if you like? And it won't take long to get there, our trains are very fast," she exclaims proudly.

"Wow, doesn't that sound good?" Dale now nods at Jessica a little more enthusiastically.

She stands to her feet, brushing off her dress for a second, before extending a hand to the boy, who takes it before steadying himself on the ground sending her a grateful smile and following Elaine, silently.

Jessica started to follow but felt a hand on her arm, she turned to see the elderly mentor, Mags, smiling up at her with wide, kind eyes before signing, you are a kind, brave girl. Jessica had been watching her hands, understanding what she was saying as she remembered her father and how after her mothers death, her father broke down and, on bad days, was unable to talk and would sign instead. She had been quick and eager to learn sign language as she wanted to be able to communicate with her father, who she had been rather close with before he died.

She sent the woman a smile as Finnick, who has been standing beside Mags watching the elderly woman, looked like he was about to translate before Jessica spoke, "thank you."

"You know sign language?" The angelic voice of Finnick Odair spoke.

"My dad had bad days," she replied simply with a forced smile, not wanting to talk about her deceased father.

"What you did for that boy was nice, how'd you know how to calm him down?"

"I've got a younger brother, he's quite the drama queen when he wants to be." She said, this time with a real smile before getting into the large limousine after Dale and Elaine.

Finnick helped Mags into the limo then getting in himself, his mind still thinking about the girl.

Finnick noticed there was a minuet difference between the smiles. If he wasn't the master of a fake smile, he most definitely wouldn't have noticed that when she spoke about her younger brother, her smile reached her eyes, making her dark sodalite blue orbs light up with a nostalgic happiness compared to the hidden sadness in them when she had previously smiled out of politeness.

However, her eyes were constantly at battle. The blue of her eyes were like the ocean on a stormy night: feelings dancing within them, threading between the different shades of blue, never resting, never at peace. Though, the internal battle in her eyes, showing but concealing her pain, didn't match the kind soft smile forced onto her face like second nature.

He realised he had been staring and didn't hesitate to look away, though something within him couldn't help but want to look back over. There was a part of him that wanted to settle the storm brewing in her eyes, which confused the 19 year old immensely. He, Finnick Odair, did not get silly crushes. He didn't have time to when he had to constantly please the long line of hungry women set up by none other than president Coriolanus Snow.

He pushed the thoughts to the back of his racing thoughts as they approached the train. They were surrounded by the District 4 citizens and escorted to the train by peacekeepers. He watched Jessica help Mags into the shiny silver train before getting in herself. That girl was too kind for this world, he could only hope the games don't completely and utterly rip that kindness from her heart.

Little did he know, Jessica had already promised herself she would not let the games change who she is. She wouldn't let them take away her positive and kind attitude. She wouldn't let Snow have the satisfaction. Because the day Jessica Miller is unable to smile will be the day she dies.

AN: permission to protect Jessica at all costs, sign here please _____
I love her, she's so sweet.
On a completely unrelated note, look at this deleted scene (at 38 seconds) of Finnick, he has my heart: