Topher x Sammy ~ Handcuffs

"Ha, yeah, right. She'd never do that," Amy scoffed as she filed her nails over Sammy's coffee.

Sammy's face flushed. She didn't care about the coffee—that was the least of her worries. It was what Scarlett had just said that was her problem.

Scarlett holds up a pair of handcuffs she'd pulled from her bag. "When he gets off of work, go handcuff yourself to Topher," she said. "If you can't do it, then you just prove that you're the wimp your sister and everyone else says you are."

Sammy risked a glance at Topher who was currently working the cash register. He was chatting away with his current customers. Scarlett only brought the dare up because she'd made the mistake of openly telling everyone at the table of her crush for the brunette.

Had he heard her? If so, he showed no sign of it.

"Says who?" Sammy heard herself say in response to her sister, but who was she kidding?

Amy looked up, a smirk on her face She leaned forward and in her snobby voice said, "Says me. You know he'd never like someone like you, and doing what Scarlett said will just prove my point. He'll hate you even more."

"Ignore her, mate," Jasmine said, sending a subtle glare in Amy's direction. "Topher could never hate anybody, no matter what you did to him."

Sammy tried to smile. Her tall friend was right. Topher was one of the nicest people she knew (or at least watched from afar), and she really didn't think he could hate her. He'd probably laugh the whole thing off, and they could forget it ever happened. But Sammy wouldn't be able to do it. She wouldn't be able to forget about it. Her heartbreak would be her demise.

Sammy sighed in defeat. "Thanks, Jaz, but I don't think I'm gonna do it."

"Told you so," Amy snickered.

Jasmine looked at Amy, as if she had a lot of vile things to say to her. But instead of saying such things, Jasmine reached over and pat Sammy on the shoulder. "I believe in you."

Sammy nodded, but turned her focus to the napkin in her lap that she was tearing to pieces. Of course, she didn't want to be considered a wimp, but she didn't want her chance with Topher completely ruined either. The latter was more important to her. She'd always live in her sister's shadow. Handcuffing herself to Topher wouldn't change that.

Amy applied another layer of lip gloss. "I think I'll take you up on that dare, Scarlett."

Sammy's head shot up. She opened her mouth to say something, but Scarlett got there first.

"But you don't-"

Amy shot Scarlett a look, stopping her words in her throat. "Who knows? Maybe something good will come out of it," Amy said with a shrug. Her smile was all Bitch when she grinned at her sister.

Something inside of Sammy snapped. She should have expected this. Why did she think she could possibly have a single moment of peace in her life? She'd always hated when her sister did things like this. This was just too far.

Sammy slammed her torn napkin on the table. She flinched, realizing it was much louder than she meant it to be. People were probably looking at her. "No, I'll do it," she said, her voice much less convincing than she wanted it to be.

Amy rolled her eyes. She didn't believe her sister could do it. Hell, Sammy didn't believe she could do it.

---

Hanging out across the street, the four girls waited for Topher to get off of work. Sammy wished Amy would shut her mouth, and hoped the hour would fly by slower. It felt like only a few minutes passed when her love interest stepped out of the coffee shop without his work attire.

Scarlett grabbed the handcuffs and handed them to the shy blonde. They looked a lot more sinister than they actually were. "If you actually pull this off, I'll give you twenty bucks."

"Better have twenty bucks ready for me then," Sammy said halfheartedly. Amy snorted.

"You've got this, mate," Jasmine cheered her on. "Go get him."

Sammy took a deep breath and stood up from the bench. I've got this. Before she could talk herself out of it, she crossed the street and called out, "Topher!"

When the brunette turned to her, she almost fell right there on the sidewalk. He was smiling at her. He was smiling at her. He's never done that before unless he was working, but then, he smiled at everyone. This smile was meant for Sammy.

"Hey," he said, tilting his head to the side out of curiosity and amusement.

Sammy realized she'd been standing there for a minute without a single noise to be made. She was even holding her breath. "Uh, h-hi." She cursed herself inside. What was she doing?

"I've seen you around school, and you hang out at the cafe, often. You're Sammy, right?"

"How'd you know? Most people think I'm my twin," she said. Inside, she was screaming. He actually knew her for her and not her devilish sister.

"You're the cuter twin," he said simply.

Sammy had to stop herself from making an embarrassing noise. "Um, thanks," she said sheepishly.

He just grinned at her. She had to remind herself to breath. What was he trying to do? Kill her?

"So, what'd you want?" he asked.

The handcuffs suddenly felt very heavy in her hands as she held them behind her back. "I was dared to do something," she managed to get out. "I just . . . I was dared to handcuff myself to you." She pulled the cuffs out from behind her. "I have a key, so it won't be for very long." She couldn't bring herself to look him in the eye.

He glanced at her friends and waved, enthusiastically. He turned back to Sammy. "They dare you?"

Sammy nodded. "Yeah." They stood there for a second in silence. "Look, I'll leave-"

"No, it's okay." He took the cuffs from her. He studied them with wonder. "Wow, if you lose the key, there'll be some difficulty getting these open."

Sammy stared at him, confused. She wasn't sure what he was going to do next.

He closed one cuff around his wrist, then held out his other hand expectantly. Sammy put her wrist in his warm hand. She probably looked like a cherry at this point, but Topher was nice enough not to point it out.

Topher closed the cuff around her own wrist. He smiled. "Dare complete?"

Sammy nodded. Her heart was attempting to jump out of her chest, it was beating so fast. "Dare complete."

"Where's the key?"

She reached into her skirt pocket and produced the tiny key. She set it in his palm, careful not to brush her fingers against his hand. She was a little bummed he was unlocking the cuffs so quickly, but she wasn't about to say so.

Topher gripped the key in his hand. He stood there thinking for a moment.

"What are you doing?" Sammy asked. Don't get my hopes up, she thought.

"Hm," he hummed. "Judging by your comment earlier, they didn't give you a specific time, did they?"

Sammy shook her head, confused. "No, they didn't."

"Are they expecting you back right now?"

She glanced at Amy and their friends. Amy was fuming. "Probably not," Sammy said, turning away from her sister's deathly glare. "Why?"

Topher gave her a mysterious smile before throwing the key over his shoulder. 

-----

i'm sorry this took me so long. you requested this literally forever ago. i hope you're happy with the product <3