Chapter 14 | Moments

They may steal my friend, but they can't take away our bond or memories full of secrets

They may steal my friend, but they can't take away our bond or memories full of secrets. Bora and I were bona fide friends. Regardless of what took place, he is a good person. Isn't that right, Pia? I finger comb through her auburn silk coat as she rests on my pillow next to me. A constant beep rings in my ear, thinking it may be the sound of a vehicle next door.

I creased my brows, leading up to my window, following a moving rental reversing into the yard. They're moving now. I scrambled outside to cross the lawn's patch of grass, approaching Mr. Hawk. "What are you doing?" I prevented him from placing the cardboard box in the trailer. He rolled his eyes, exasperated, continuing to load it.

"Hey Gemma, what a joy to see you! Want a strawberry donut?" Malinda beamed a light smile while holding a crate full of decorations that showed broken.

"Linda, we don't have time for that." Mr. Hawk stressed.

With an eye twitch and a flaring nose, she said, "Hush. Your attitude caused this mess." She kept on dumping the broken items in the green recycle bin at the end of the horseshoe driveway.

Adam groaned, packing things in the U Haul.

"Tell me why you're leaving?" I blocked in between him and the storage truck.

"You're a galling little kid, you know that, right? Get the hell out of my yard."

I recoiled. "Has anyone said you look like bigfoot? You look like you missed a year of sessions?" It is rare when I disrespect my elders, but I'll make him the exception. Adam took a deep breath, then stepped to me as I reeled from the instant closeness. He got on one knee and stared into my eyes, raw and creepy.

"While you sleep tonight, an Elder wolf sneaks into your room as a thief. First, he will bite your toes, crushing the insufficient bones in them as you drip out of blood. You're going to want it to stop, but it's not. It will keep chewing you until you're gone. And no one will hear you scream." His tone was demonic. I move away from him, slow and steady. An elder wolf? What the heck is that? My stomach pivots into a knot of terror.

"Hey, jerk, what are you doing to my baby sister?" Qu crushes the grass coming from next door. Mr. Hawk put a finger to his lips, hushing me to keep what he said a secret. He stood, towering over me, mugging at Qu.

"Do me a favor and keep your kid off my lawn!" The grumpy ignoramus went to finish up his move. Qu guided me by my shoulder, away from their yard. For the rest of the time, we stood there watching the Hawks load the rest of their furniture with the help of hired movers. He closed the cargo, locking it. His wife drove off in the SUV, and Adam followed in the U Haul.

"What an a-hole." Qu fished out a granola bar from his pocket.

"Why do you say that?" I know I have my reasons, but what has he done to Quinn?

"They were causing trouble around here." He spoke with a mouth full. "There's a white wolf roaming, and people think it's because of them."

"Why do people think that?" I try not to sound suspicious.