。32 。

-"What?"-

-
"What?"
-

Kate sat at the table, watching the footage she was sent of Eleanor speaking with Kingpin. Clint asked, "Who sent this?"

"Yelena." Kate answered. "Apparently my mum is the one who hired her to kill you."

"Oh, wow." Clint mumbled.

"It doesn't make any sense. My mum does even- she doesn't even jaywalk." Kate muttered shakily. "And now she's working with the mob? She killed Armand? My God, I need to talk to her."

"Kate, wait. You gotta calm down, okay?" Clint stood up  and so did Ophelia. "Let's talk this out."

"Hi, this is Eleanor. I can't answer the phone right now-" Eleanor's voicemail rang out and Kate ended the failed call.

"Just take a breath, okay?" Clint tried. "But your mum needs our help. That video, Kate, it's not good. The Kingpin will not take this lightly. He is going to react, and he's gonna do it in a big way."

"Clint, this is my mess to clean up." Kate stated. "You should go home, you should be with your family. You can still make it in time for Christmas."

"Kate, you're my partner." Clint denied. "Your mess is my mess. I'm not going anywhere until this is finished."

"What he said." Ophelia smiled.

-

"Kate, I'm really sorry how this has all turned out for you." Clint apologised as they sat on the tube.

"Well..." Kate trailed off, holding Ophelia's hand tightly. "Can't think about it right now. We've gotta focus on tonight."

Clint exhaled, "You're right. We need a ton of gear. Like a whole batch of way-too-dangerous trick arrows."

"You can make more?" Kate asked with a grin.

"I also have something for you, Ophelia." Clint started.

"What?" She questioned, sitting up straighter.

"Remember how I said all you needed was a bow?"

"Fuck. Off."

-

"Hey, have either of you seen that pepper spray?" Clint asked, now making the arrows.

"Yeah, I've got it here." Kate replied, placing it in front of him on the table.

"Alright." Clint mumbled, picking it up.

They all started to make many different heads, Ophelia helping Clint create them. Kate picked up the head of one, "What's this one?"

"Way too dangerous." Clint answered.

Kate placed it down very carefully with wide eyes, "Too dangerous."

Kate started to make labels for them and Ophelia held an arrow between two bolts, the bolts then flying to stick to the magnetic arrow head. More and more were made and Ophelia and Clint glanced at Kate when she sniffed.

"So, this, uh, this holiday party tonight, is it a fancy thing?" Clint questioned.

"Yeah. Formal." Kate nodded.

"Despicable." Ophelia grumbled and Kate smiled slightly.

"You know, you don't have to do this." Clint told them. "It is part o the job. It's always inconvenient. It's lonely. You will get hurt. Heroes have to make some tough decisions. So, if you're gonna do this, I just wanna know you're both ready."

"When I was younger, aliens invaded. And I was alone. And I was terrified. But then I saw you, fighting aliens with a stick and a string. I saw you jump from that building even though you can't fly, even though you don't have superpowers. And I thought, 'If he could do that, then I didn't have to be scared.' You super me that a hero isn't just for people who can fly or shoot lasers out of their hands, it's for anyone, who's brave enough to do what's right, no matter the cost. I'm ready." Kate explained, Clint smiling.

"What about you?" Clint asked Ophelia who finished off another arrow.

"When I was younger, I didn't know about the battle of New York because of where I was. Obviously word spread around the Red Room of how Natasha got out but they made her seem like the enemy along with the rest of the Avengers when we found out about them. And when I did get out, I don't think I can explain how guilty I felt and still feel but Natasha's career proved that it was okay because it wasn't my fault. I'm ready." Ophelia mumbled.

{688}