Wednesday February 20th, 2008

"Caleb honey you're gonna be late!" I yelled from the kitchen. Theres thumping down the stairs when I seen him holding our newborn son.

 "Yes yes, I know I know. I was getting munchkin dressed. Besides I'd rather spend my day with you two." He said kissing my head and rocking Jase. I looked at him and pouted. I was so happy to have him as my husband. 

"Okay okay enough. Load Jase up in his car seat, we have to get going. After all it is your second month working on the rig." I kissed his cheek, he curled his bottom lip and went on. I finished fixing his dinner for the first night, I slipped in a note when he wasn't looking.

On the ride over, we joked around about his family, my family, anything really. On the inside though I felt knots in my stomach. Seeing him taking care of our son made me realize how dangerous the oil rig was. My thinking was interupted by Caleb laughing loudly. 

"Can you believe that the folks I work with call me Hollywood? They said it's 'cause I'm too pretty lookin'." I smiled at him. 

"Well I think they got one thing right on that stupid thing. You're more handsome than anyone in the world." I said playing with his hair. He looked over at me in the passenger seat, his smile fades. 

"I'll be okay Lindy, I promise. You know I'd do anything to be with you two." He held my hand and looked at Jase's carrier through the rearview mirror. I didn't say anything to him at that time, I knew what he was saying was right I just couldn't shake the feeling off.

When we arrived to the docks, I got Jase out and walked around with him. A couple other families parting with their husbands, brothers, sons, fathers, anyone really. 

"What's up Hollywood?" I heard a man exclaim walking over towards us. I looked up at Caleb's face confused, but he wrapped his arm around me and grinned that stupid but adorable grin of his. 

The man came over and put his arm around Caleb's neck, he looked at me and he put his opposite hand on his chest. "Now Caleb who in the world is this? This can't be the one and only Mrs. Holloway could it?" Caleb smiled and playingly hit the mans shoulder. 

"As it happens to be, Shane, this is my wife Lindy and our son Jase. Lindy, this is Shane." I shook his hand and grinned. "Well aren't you makin' friends. You both act like you're brothers." Caleb looked Shane up and down, he looked offended towards me.

"How about you hand me this precious little boy," he said taking Jase out my arms. "And I cuddle with him as long as I can." He gushed over his little partner in crime, meanwhile Shane was introducing himself to Jase. I realized then that when Caleb isn't at home with me, he's working 45 miles out into sea with his work family. These men protect each other as if they are brothers by blood. I knew that if they treated each other like family, my Caleb wouldn't left behind to struggle on his own on that rig. They would all help out. 

My thinking was interupted when Shane said, "Welp it's about time to go check in for the flight out. You ready?" He looked over at Caleb still cradling Jase in his arms, he had slight tears in his eyes. "Yep I'm ready." He gave Jase to me, grasped my face wiping the single tear off my cheek. His kiss seemed so short.

"I love you so much." I said biting my lip to avoid more tears. "I love you too, I'll be back soon." I wiped his tears and smiled through the pain. "You shouldn't be the one to be cryin'. Go on before your flight leaves." He kissed me again and kissed Jase on his head. 

After loading Jase back into the truck I get into the drivers seat and I see Caleb waving. "I love you!" I hear him yell. I smiled and yelled back, "I love you too!"