36- EXPLANATIONS

If there was a heaven Bruce definitely felt like had arrived there.

He had stopped a kidnapping, gotten the hostages out safe but nothing compared to the feeling of if kissing the Joker. The night has started off crazy, incidents after incidents had spiralled out of control, not to mention the Joker had put Bruce through so much stress when he had ran off. Bruce was annoyed even borderline angry, but it all melted away at the one thought of their shared kiss. The fresh memory bubbled in his mind; it was all he could think about.

That was.... Bruce struggled to find the words. It was, indescribable, amazing, great! All words that only described a small percent of the feeling, it was something Bruce wanted to experience again.

Bruce walked through the doors of Wayne manor; it was at least three in the morning when his car had pulled up. He not bothered to take off his suit only his mask. He walked around the house, still floating around in high cloud like high, he couldn't remain in one spot for he was too ecstatic. Instead he replayed the events in his head, trying to remember the exact feeling.

It was a soft kiss, chaste and absolutely innocent. It was a small step, but Bruce liked it, he found the innocence behind the kiss very cute, charming at best.

Bruce grazed his hand over his lip, he could still feel the Joker's lips against his. He chuckled to himself as he walked up the stairs and into his study, there was no way he could go to sleep with his mind buzzing the way it was. He turned the light in his study and sighed, he believed that life couldn't get any better.

"Do you want to explain to me where you were, or why Jack is gone?" A voice boomed through the room. Bruce's cloud nine like high depleted almost instantly. He could recognise the voice. Alfred sat in Bruce's chair; he had been doing so for the past 20 minutes in the dark.

"Alfred I can explain." He said quickly. Alfred sat facing away from Bruce. He sat with his hands in his lap, eyes glued to the flickering fire. His mood resembled the flame in the fireplace, hot and dangerous if gotten close to or provoked.

I'm screwed. I am so screwed. Bruce thought. It seems he had noticed our trip.

"You better do it quick before I lose my temper." Alfred muttered. Bruce took a big breath of air he knew he had to be quick.

"Okay this might sound immature but me and Joker went on a ride around the city, because he was bored."

Alfred dug his nails into the leather chair. "So, you're telling me that both of you decided to go on a joy ride?" Alfred repeated. Bruce cringed immediately. That tone doesn't sound too good. I probably should have explained that better.

"You mean to tell I go down to the bat cave, both of you are gone, i'm panicking and all because you wanted to go on a joy ride?!" Alfred hollered. Bruce shivered. Yeah, he's definitely angry.

"Please don't kill me just yet." Bruce pleaded. "We ended going places and caught up in some trouble but it's fine now." He added quickly. Although now that he thought about it, his actions weren't competently "fine".

Alfred snorted. So, getting caught in crossfire of a hostage kidnapping and raiding Gotham city hall is just some trouble? Well who would have thought. Alfred tried to suppress the volcanic anger that was building up in him, he could feel his irritation reach its brink.

It was 9:00 o'clock when Alfred has come into the bat cave, with piping hot dinner to find that Jack was gone, Bruce was nowhere in the mansion and the bat mobile was gone. He was worried at first, naturally his instincts went to panic mode for both Bruce and Jack.

The butler had registered many worrying thoughts: What did Bruce do to Jack? What did Jack do to Bruce? Where are they? Are they in danger? Where could they have gone to?

Two hours later Alfred was shocked to witness that a new bulletin that detailed the Joker, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy and Batman all in one location while the police were high tailing to them. Alfred nearly had a heart attack, to say the least.

Calm down Alfred, calm down. The butler coaxed. It's over now, nothing bad happened. But his words were doing little to calm him, he was still irritated that the two had left without his knowledge.

Alfred rubbed the temple of his head soothingly. "Just tell me that Jack is safe."

Bruce nodded "He's safe, I promise." It was the one thing he could assure.

"Will he come back?" Alfred asked curiously, he really hoped he would. Subconsciously Alfred had grown a strong attachment to the boy though he couldn't express it. He liked having Jack around, he liked having a person to talk to other than Bruce.

"Yes." Bruce said, he was uncertain of the teenager's return, but he was hopeful.

"That's the only good news I've received today." Alfred muttered. Bruce exhaled with relief. So, the bomb hasn't gone off. He was glad that Alfred hadn't gone Godzilla at him. But now he had an even bigger problem to face. How am I going to tell him? This wasn't the only problem.

"Oh, and Alfred, Jack know that i'm you know." He hesitantly tried to find the words. How could he word it in a way that wouldn't get him killed? "Bruce Wayne." Bruce said slowly.

Alfred blinked at this newfound information. So, he knows, hmmm. Alfred thought, he felt no particular feeling towards Bruce had told him, in honest truth he couldn't find himself caring.

"Surprisingly, that's not the worst news I've heard today." He didn't necessary find it to be bad, now it meant things weren't as complicated. In fact, the butler was almost positive, it meant that maybe him and the Joker could be friends outside of the Batman situation.

"Thanks for understanding, i'm glad you're not mad." Bruce was relived he didn't get the biggest lecture of his life.

Alfred cocked his eyebrow "Who's says i'm not mad?" He stood up from the chair and glared at his young master. "I'm fuming but it's three in the morning and I need to go to bed, we'll continue this tomorrow." He warned.

"Alright go easy on me." Bruce laughed. Alfred rolled his eyes, waving the comment away. He was about to leave when noticed something that suddenly caught his eyes. He stopped and looked at Bruce properly. His eyes scanned the two imprints left on his face.

"Umm Bruce did you know you have a little something here and here." He gestured to specific parts of Bruce's face, where lip stick stains were clearly left on his face.

Shit! The lipstick stains are still there. Bruce had not even noticed.

"Oh umm. A fan." Bruce choked out. It was stupid to say but it was better than explaining how he had gotten it.

"A fan?" Alfred questioned suspiciously. Bruce shrugged, trying to act innocent.

Alfred shook his head and sighed. "I don't even want to know."

**********🐧🐧

"Good morning Ivy." Joker yawned.

"Hey j." She waved from the stove, humming happily as she poured pancake batter on the pan. Joker inhaled the sweet smell of flour mixed with milk.

"Good morning pumpkin." He greeted Harley, sitting across from her on the table. Harley merely glanced him, arms cross before turning away from him coldly, not replying at all.

"Are you still mad?" Joker inquired, "Come I apologised, how many times do I have to, here i'm sorry." He wailed; the teenager was growing tired of Harley's silent treatment. At first he could understand the cold shoulder and mean look, he believed he deserved it after the amount shock he had put them through. But three days of brutal silence from his best friend was really killing him, especially since he wanted to explain to her how his newfound "relationship" had happened.

Ivy snorted from the kitchen counter. "It's no use J, she's been in a sour mood since last night, she won't even talk to me."

Joker pouted his lips. "Pumpkin, please talk to me, I didn't mean to put you through such stress."

"Just like you didn't mean to fall in love with Batman?" Harley snapped. Joker bit his lip, scratching the back of his head awkwardly. Well that's different... Very different.

"I didn't mean for that either." He muttered. "Look could you just let me explain."

Harley waved her hand in his face dismissively "I don't want to hear your shitty love story."

Ivy who had finished cooking put the pancakes on the table, sitting next to her girlfriend. Ivy rested her head against Harley's shoulder. "Babe could you just listen to him."

"No!" Harley barked. She pursed her lips, still avoiding eye contact, she refused to sink to his demands.

"You're being childish!" Joker scoffed. How the hell am I supposed to explain myself when she won't listen!

Harley twisted her head with a monstrous look on her face. "I'm being childish???! I'm being the most rational I have ever been!" She shouted.

Ivy took her head off Harley's shoulder. Oh boy here we go.

"Am I the only sane one here!" Harley cried; she was definitely beginning to believe it.

"None of us sane," Joker reminded.

"Shut up! Do you know how crazy this is? You're telling me that you and Batsy, no, no, infarct Bruce Wayne have been living it up, swapping spit in the bat cave while me and Ivy were worried?" She bellowed. Harley was still trying to wrap her head around the concept.

"Well to be honest we've only kissed once." He corrected.

Ivy looked at the teenager with intrigue "Really how did it feel?"

Joker could feel a blush creep over his face. "It felt great, I-i-i-"

"Ewww I don't want to know!" Harley interjected; she made a face of disgust. "J how can you expect me not be mad?" She yelled.

Joker put his hands up defensively "I do expect you to be mad. I'm fine with you being mad, all that time I was with Batman I did not think once about how you felt not knowing where I was or if I was alive. I can understand and I'm a big idiot for that." He expressed regret sincerely. He honestly did feel bad.

"Harley he didn't mean to put us through that." Ivy chimed in.

"Uggh! That's not why i'm mad, it's just..." Harley tsk'ed with annoyance. It's wasn't really the betrayal of the Joker falling for a hero, it was the hero he'd fallen for.

"Why Batman?!" She threw her hands in the air. It was incomprehensible, unfathomable! Out of all people J had to fall for, it just had to be the caped crusader!

"I don't know it just happened." Joker choked out. It's not like I wanted to like him.

"But can you please support me, I really like him, and he likes me." He added softly.

Support! Harley screamed in her mind. He must think i'm dumb!

"Are you crazy! He's your arch nemesis! Not to mention your 17! Bruce Wayne is 24. What's 24 minus 17 huh? Tell me the years apart." Harley prodded.

Joker looked to the floor "Seven." He mumbled reluctantly. Yeah, the age gap isn't that great.

"What is he some sort of perv who gets off on younger guys? And how do you know he's not using you!" Harley growled.

"Because he's not, he wouldn't have told me his secret identity if he didn't trust me." Joker explained. He trusted Batman wholeheartedly. Ivy looked at Joker, she couldn't argue with that point.

"He's onto something Harley." Ivy added. Harley shot an icy glare at Ivy for even daring to agree with the teenager. Ivy looked away and chuckled dryly.

"Look i'm not condoning this "thing". Ivy declared, she too found it strange. "It's weird but it's who Jack likes, and Batman clearly likes him back from what we saw last night." She reminded.

"Really you too Ivy? You're on his side?" Harley scowled.

"It's not about sides pumpkin." Joker whined. "Please just think about it." He pleaded. He liked Batman, but he also wanted Harley's approval.

Harley frowned deeply "Ugh I think I liked it better when you were dating that creep scarecrow." She mumbled.

"Ewww no, just no." Joker detested. Nothing could be worse than dating Jonathan. That truly was a dark time of my life.

Harley sighed, slumping back against her chair. "I can't believe this! Where did I go wrong with you?" She face palmed.

Joker giggled "Okay mom, but Batman's not a bad person trust me." He assured. Ivy looked at the Joker, finding the desperation and look of searching for approval in his eyes. He really wants me to support him huh? He must really like this guy. Harley exhaled loudly, she knew the clown could be as stubborn as she was, and if he really did like the hero there was nothing she could do.

"You're not gonna stop begging, are you?" Harley noted. Joker smiled and gave a small nod.

Harley rolled her eyes. "I can't believe i'm saying this but I'll think about it."

Joker jumped up from the table ecstatically. "AHHHHH I LOVE YOU HARLEY!" He screamed as he jumped into her lap to bear hug her. Ivy laughed a little as she saw her girlfriend try to hide her smile.

"I said I'll think about." Harley remarked stubbornly. "Doesn't mean I have to like him."

"In other words, she'll get over it." Ivy smirked.

Joker depleted suddenly. Oh yeah, the second thing I have to tell her. She won't be as happy with this one. Joker slowly got off Harley and backed away from the table. There was one more truth he had forgotten to mention.

He laughed nervously. "Ohhh and by the way Harley don't be mad at me." He began.

"But I kinda left the mob and swore never to do evil again." Joker said quickly before running his room, he dared not look back, in fear of Harley's reaction.

"WHAT!" Harley screeched.

"I love you." Joker reminded before slamming the door to his room. Harley sprang up from the table

"Get back here young man, we need to talk!" She bellowed chasing after him.

Ivy laughed as she stabbed her stack of pancakes with a fork. "Ah, to be young and in love." She smiled.