19- JOKER AND ALFRED

As Alfred went back down to the bat cave, he couldn't quite quell the feelings of sadness he had which were left over from last night. The conversations had been sober, it strayed away from their usual conversation of music bands and Jokes. Alfred was saddened to see the Joker lose such faith in the city that the butler loved, he could only wonder what could have made such a man hate the city the way he did.

Such a good boy, with a tormented soul. Alfred sighed but cast away the thoughts, he didn't want to bring it up again.

"Good morning Alfred." The Joker smiled, greeting the butler. He sat on top of the table legs crossed and looking cheerful, he was excited to see Alfred again. Alfred smiled, seeing the mood of the Joker was better.

"Good morning, how are you feeling?" He asked.

"Hungry. Very hungry." The Joker yawned, stretching slightly. Alfred chuckled to himself

"I thought you would say that." He unwrapped the veil that covered the tray of food. The Joker's eye widened as he saw the mountain of food, fruit salads, toast, pancakes, crumpets, bacon, and other assortments of juice. The Joker could feel his mouth water.

"Wow that's a lot of food, I don't know if I can finish it." even he was unsure if he could even eat that much.

"Sure, you will Jack, your teen appetite will take over." The butler grinned. The Joker fell silent before giving a weak smile.

"Ha, stop reminding me." He chuckled. Alfred caught himself in thought, perhaps he shouldn't of called the Joker, Jack.

"Do you not like it when I call you by your name. I can stop." Alfred offered, he didn't know whether he was being to formal or overstepping his boundaries. The Joker simply shrugged

"No, I just haven't heard anyone call me that besides my mother. Not even my close friends call me Jack a lot." He admitted, Jack was what close people called, close people like Harley and Ivy, but even they didn't use the name quite regularly. The name Jack was highly important to the Joker, it reminded him of his old life, a time before the Joker.

"Oh, I see. Does your mother know you're the Joker?" Alfred asked. He pondered if Jack's mother knew about the double life he led and if so was she OK with it. He figured that her as her mother he wouldn't really call her son the Joker.

"Not really," The Joker said quietly, he looked to the floor as he spoke, "she died before I got the chance."

Oh my god. How insensitive of me. Alfred cringed internally, feeling guilty for bringing up such a touchy subject.

"I'm sorry to heart that." He apologised. The Joker thanked him, not even phased by the questions. He took a bite out of his fruit salad.

"Enough talk about me, what about you Mr British Alfred? You've only told me your name." The Joker suggested, for the longest time he wanted to know about this mysterious butler who was considerate and kind human being, the Joker often thought he was too kind to even be human.

Maybe he's an angel. The Joker said playfully in his head. Alfred looked at the Joker, his face was a mixture of surprise and confusion, he hadn't thought the Joker would take an interest and want to know about him.

"Same goes with you." Alfred replied. The Joker smiled playfully and shrugged.

"Maybe I'll tell you about me, if you tell me about yourself." He offered.

Jack's past must be an interesting one. Alfred was willing to reveal his past if it meant hearing about the Joker's, perhaps it would shed some light on why he became the man he was.