3- THE PAST

Following Scarecrow to the next room made the Joker feel especially uneasy. He didn't like the exposure he felt, he didn't like that he couldn't see Scarecrow's face, he didn't like that he was following a mad psychologist to uncertainty. He didn't like any of it. Joker's nerves felt even more unstable as he looked around the surroundings of the corridor that he strolled in, the hall was getting dark, more dimly light, nothing like the main room. What was even more nerve-racking was there was no holding chambers or kidnap-y looking rooms from what Joker could see.

"Where's Ivy?" Joker asked cautiously. Scarecrow fell silent for brief seconds; the only sound being emitted was the stomps of his footsteps.

"We'll get to that." He answered after a while passed. Joker felt his hand unconsciously hover towards his pocket, where he kept his pocketknife.

Just in case, you never know when you have to stab someone. He joked darkly.

Scarecrow stopped in front of a door at the end of the corridor, Joker did the same.

"If you'll follow me." Scarecrow instructed, he was still facing away from the Joker. The clown didn't like it, he frowned but remained silent.

Scarecrow led him to a room with multiple seats lined up to stage, set up if someone was going to make a speech or a meeting of some sort.

"Having a party?" Joker asked with a nervous chuckle. Scarecrow laughed to himself, continuing to walk but in the opposite direction, west of the door. There was a table where Scarecrow stood, he stood there looking at something, reading in deep thought. Something about Scarecrow looking away, unsettled Joker. The clown noted he was acting different from his usual quiet, mysterious yet attention-drawing persona, his demeanor now confident but not the good kind. It was borderline cocky, arrogant almost. Very different from his calculated attitude. Scarecrow suddenly turned around facing the clown prince of crime. A little smirk was on his lips.

"Come here J I want to show you something

"Come here J I want to show you something." He leaned against the table, beckoning Joker over with one finger.

Ummmm? What in the world? Joker internally screamed. Why is he standing like that? Why is he looking at me like that? Just why? what? Who? The clown struggled to even form a sentence in his head. For the first time in his life, he truly was grateful that no one could see past his makeup because God was he red!

Scarecrow grew impatient, he raised his eyebrow at the other man. Noticing Scarecrow's annoyance Joker cleared his throat and quickly sauntered to the table. He stood spaces away from Scarecrow, giving himself a very, very, good distance between the two. Joker suddenly cringed realizing that Scarecrow's gaze on him never wavered. The anxious clown busied himself looking at papers on the table, all in science words he was too Joker to understand.

"Ummm. What is this?" He asked trying to preoccupy his mind with something other than Scarecrow's strange looks.

"A new plan I've been coming up with," Scarecrow said, not even bothering to look away. "On how to get total control of Gotham."

Joker's ears tingled with interest at the sentence. Control over Gotham aye? He set aside his uncomfortableness.

"And how would you do that Mr. wise guy?" Joker looked at Scarecrow with intrigue. Scarecrow laughed a deep throaty laugh. Okay? what's funny? Joker thought bemused. He failed to see the humor in his question, this was a lot coming from a man who would burst into random fits of laughter.

"Just with a little toxin I made over the course of a week. It's made from organic plants." Scarecrow clarified with a sly smile. Joker bit his lip, thoughts swam around in his head. One particular thought slipped out of his mouth.

"Is that why you kidnapped Ivy?" He kept his composure, trying not to sound too interested or worried. He wouldn't let Scarecrow know he had gotten to him.

"You're smart J. Yeah I needed help with something." The mad psychologist admitted.

"You could have just asked." Joker prompted.

"You wouldn't have approved," Scarecrow muttered looking down at his feet.

Not approved? What does that mean? Joker thought hard. What was Scarecrow so sure that Joker wouldn't approve of? This was Joker he was talking about, a man in makeup who trolled the city for fun! What exactly would he not approve of?

Joker pouted it had to be something big, something dangerous, he figured he would only get answers if he wasn't too discrete, he had to sound interested. Let's play devil's advocate for a while.

"Tell me and I'll see if I approve or not," Joker grinned coyly. "I've always supported most of your plan not to mention I've helped you with some." He reassured.

Scarecrow looked at the clown, his eyes widened. A twinkle lit up in the shrink's eyes, a look of lust mixed with hope. A fire was now lit in the Scarecrow's stomach, one that could not be quelled easily.

"That's what I like about you J, you've always supported me." Scarecrow smiled, he inched closer to the Joker, wanting to be more in his vicinity, he felt the urge to touch him. Joker uncomfortably stood there, not sure whether to pull out his knife or move back.

"Yeah." Was all he could reply. Scarecrow was dangerously close, very close, too close for Joker's liking. Their noses were nearly touching when Scarecrow decided to stop.

"You asked about my plan," Scarecrow said in a husky voice, "it's pretty simple, this little gizmo but toxin if you prefer is a mind-control gas I created, quick lethal and effective." From the table Scarecrow pulled out a small gas looking gun, he waved it around a bit. Joker examined it with one eye the other watching the man in front of him.

"Nice, you plan on using it on Gotham folk?" Joker laughed condescendingly, "Batsy won't be too happy."

Scarecrow eyebrows furrowed upon hearing the Dark knight's name, his jaw clamped up. He didn't like hearing J talk about the Batman, he knew the Joker had a fascination for him.

"Forget him." He snapped, "I've made and tested this, it works well and is very helpful."

"Wow, you have enough for the millions in the city! You're really something Scarecrow." Joker chuckled, he couldn't help but be impressed.

"You think so?" Scarecrow's ears lit up from the praise, he quickly let it get to his head. After hours of calculated behavior and tortures glances he caved, he couldn't take it anymore. "Jack you don't know how much I've missed you." He let the words tumble out of his mouth.

"You don't know what those six months did to me." He continued letting his emotions get the better of him, the feeling of loneliness was so clear in his voice.

"Jonathan!" Joker snapped. "I didn't come here for that. I came for Ivy, the one you kidnapped!"

The mention of Poison Ivy or kidnap flew over the psychologist's head, he only regarded one thing as important. Jack said my name! My real name! Such a trivial gesture fueled Scarecrow's desire even more.

"I know but, God Jack every day and night I thought about you." He sighed.

"You don't know how hard the break up was for me, to think I'm a shrink for god sake." He laughed hysterically. Joker frowned, not really wanting to recall the months of companionship the two had spent with each other.

"Scarecrow!" Joker said seriously.

"Jack just listen." Scarecrow said cutting him off, "I really miss you, come back to me." He pleaded. He moved his hand, placing it underneath Joker's chin. Joker filched instantly, before slapping his hand away.

"What?" He exclaimed confused and rather annoyed. Was this what it was all about? Did Scarecrow really kidnap Ivy to lure me here? Was it all a ploy to talk about their past? Harley where are you? Joker thought frantically. He prayed Harley was doing better than he was, he begged that Harley had found Ivy and would come bursting through the door with her bat.

"Please I love you." Scarecrow yelled suddenly pushing himself against Joker. Joker's mouth fell open. For a second he thought he had frozen but after feeling Scarecrow's hands snake south he regained consciousnesses, with a hard shove he pushed Scarecrow off of him. Scarecrow stumbled back, nearly falling. The table behind Joker was rocking from the force, his heart was pounding in his chest, anxiousness eating at him.

"I-i, I don't love you, Jonathan!" He spat. Scarecrow's heart felt like it had been shattered, he swallowed hard, not able to fathom his love was not reciprocated.

"I see." He gulped looking to the floor, he tried not to think about it or become enraged but the more he tried to reject the more fresh in his mind it was. His face was red now.

"Time apart has hardened you." He shook his head, the expression on his face becoming as dark as the feelings he felt. Joker walked away from the table, stumbling away slightly. He was still shaken up from being assaulted but still managed to speak.

"Scarecrow just let Ivy go, I'll help you with your plan but we can't take it any further." He said sternly, standing his ground. Scarecrow just looked at him, eyes full of anger.

"Jack I have to say that upsets me, but I'm not surprised. Luckily though, I came prepared." He announced. He stood up properly, composing himself.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Joker asked feeling alarmed, he was quick to notice the same cocky grin on Scarecrow's face. Scarecrow pulled out the gas gun he had bragged about only a few minutes ago.

"Look I have one dosage in this baby, once it hits the effects last a lifetime."

"One dosage?" Joker sputtered. "I thought you had made it for the whole city."

"No, not for the city. Just for one person, one person who needs it the most." Scarecrow said it so distinctively, it didn't take a genius to realize who it was. Joker's heart sank.

The kidnapping.

The phone call.

His insistence to only talk about them and not Ivy or the kidnapping.

He's going to use it on me. Things were beginning to add up and Joker didn't really like the picture.

"NO!, Jonathan, you can't!" He yelled.

"Oh can't I?" Scarecrow growled. "I've already gone through so much hurt, so why not?" Scarecrow yelled.

Those words pulled at something in Joker's heart, despite his current anger Joker felt a tiny bit of pity for the man. Joker sighed, taking deep breathes.

"That's not how you get someone to love you." Joker said softly. I need to reason with him.

Scarecrow growled. He was tired of hearing about love and how it was supposed to go. I know about love! It's you who doesn't! Scarecrow quite frankly was tired of being the polite one, tired of being taken for granted, tired of unrequited love. He had never gotten anything in his life, but he was going to have this.

"I don't care I'm tired of this one-sided love! It's your turn to give back Jack!" Scarecrow made up his mind. He would have the joker, even if it wasn't on fair merits. He pointed the gas gun to Joker, it didn't matter what range he shot it at, if Joker inhaled or even came in contact with the gas it would work.

Joker stood, unsure whether to run, all he could do was stand in fear hoping and waiting. Would the mad psychologist really take away his free will, just like that?

"Jonathan no!" He pleaded one last time, but his attempts fell deaf to Scarecrow's desperate ears.

"Try and stop me!" Scarecrow said with cold eyes.

"Fucking four eyeeeeeeeeeeeeees!" A cry came from what seemed to be above the room. Suddenly the attention was snatched away. Both men looked up. There was a big vine poking out from the roof, one which was giant in size, it was quickly plummeting towards the ground.

"What the?" Scarecrow questioned, he recognized it as one of his experimental plants but he was too late to react and quick to spot a woman jumping off the vine, hurdling herself straight at him. The last thing he saw was red and blue pigtails close to his face before he was knocked to the floor. Harley had jumped on top of him from the roof and off the vine. She completely knocked the wind out of him. Ivy slid down the vine just as quick, landing with a heavy thud. Joker smiled with relief, his two gal pals had come to the rescue just in the nick of time.

"Come on J!" Ivy said grabbing Joker's hand. They had only gone a few steps but stopped upon hearing a pained screamed.

"J! Ivy!" Harley screamed. Harley who had hurt herself upon the impact of jumping on scarecrow was slow to get up, unlike Scarecrow who completely got up as fast as he was knocked down. He grabbed her, twisting her arm behind her back. Ivy and Joker watched in horror, careful not to make any sudden movements. Harley twisted in pain, cursing slightly in the madman's grip.

"Harley!" Joker yelled, he took a step forward which caused Scarecrow to point the gun at her head. Joker retreated back. He knew if she was shot, her mind would belong to Scarecrow now.

"Now now easy, jack-" he whispered harshly "You spent all this time to get one back, you really want to lose another?" He smiled. Harley growled at him squirming around his grip. She really wanted to punch him in his conceited face.

"Just let her go." Joker pleaded, slowly taking steps forward again. He made sure he wasn't too erratic with movements. Anything could trigger Scarecrow.

"Harley!" Ivy yelled, her gaze went to her lover, watching helplessly. Harley looked at Ivy with comforting eyes despite the adverse situation. She knew the Toxin was a dud but she couldn't say it outright. Both women would just have to play along.

"I'll get you out." Ivy mouthed silently, Harley didn't reply but her eyes practically said "I know you will." Ivy looked around, trying to find something to help. Maybe a weapon of some sort, the only thing she could find that was remotely useful was the vine they came in through. A small plan popped into her head.

I just need time. Just a little. She constructed a plan whilst Joker tried to speak sense.

"Jonathan leave her be." Joker said, hands in front of him. Scarecrow glowered at him, he didn't show any signs of desisting

"Why? If I can't find my love why should she?" He replied bitterly. Joker didn't have a reply but slowly kept walking towards him.

"You're sick four-eyes!" Harley growled still in his grip.

Perfect chance! Ivy used this time to act, using her plant power, she slowly moved the giant vine behind Scarecrow, inching it towards him. She did it so discretely not even Joker noticed. Just one strike! She bought it up to his neck, hoping to knock him out. She was close to his neck.

"And you're about to be loveless." Scarecrow breathed aggressively a Harley.

Now! Ivy thought quickly. She used the vine, whipping it against Scarecrow's nape in one hard movement. Things happened so fast, Scarecrow cried out in pain, releasing Harley but not enough for her to run. Harley thinking quickly and rather smartly dug her heel into Scarecrow's foot. Her hard boot made contact with his toes, it caused enough pain for him to double back and stumble Harley took this as her chance and ran. She ran straight at the Joker who was only a few paces away.

"Pumpkin!" Joker exclaimed happily. Harley shook her head. "Not now puddin." It wasn't really time to have a happy family reunion, they had to get out of here.

"Not so fast!" Scarecrow yelled. The sound of clicking alerted and stopped all three villains.

Shit, Harley is in his direct line! Joker took a glance back at Ivy who was distraught. He was not about to let her lose her love again, it would only be a few seconds till his ex-lover pulled the trigger. He had to act now. Joker did something he thought he would never do in a thousand years. He shoved Harley to the floor, rushing in front of Scarecrow. The trigger was pulled, a loud Bang! traveled through the room.

"YES! Now you'll love me." Scarecrow screamed madly. He watched in delight as a cloud of green gas engulfed the Joker. Joker fell to the floor, feeling strange. He inhaled futilely. Joker sniffed recognizing a smell, in fact, he didn't particularly feel any different. He didn't feel any more in love with Scarecrow than he did before. He felt nothing in all honestly. The cloud of gas evaporated soon after. Scarecrow looked at Joker attentively, expecting the Joker to run into his arms, calling him pet names and flooding him with kisses.

"What the hell, why does this smell like spinach?" Joker asked.

"What?" Scarecrow snapped. It wasn't exactly the answer Scarecrow wanted but it wasn't a no.

"Well, am I supposed to feel like I want to punch you in your face?" Joker said standing up coughing a little. He looked and sounded unaffected.

Punch? What? why? Scarecrow's mouth fell open. His ingenious plan hadn't worked?

"Why didn't it work?" He spluttered. All his calculations, research, careful deductions had failed just like that! Ivy walked closer to Joker and examined him, to her knowledge he seemed ok. She turned to the Scarecrow with a grin

"Maybe because I switched the plants." She announced proudly, " You're not the only one who can double-cross or understand plants." She stuck her tongue out playful.

Scarecrow became enraged. "You bitch!" He spat angrily. She was the one who had foiled his plan!

"I think she prefers the name Ivy." Harley chimed in, she absolutely reveled in Scarecrow's pain.

"Let's get outta here girls." Joker rolled his eyes not wanting to be here any longer. This boy is such a mess.

"Not so fast! "Scarecrow yelled, he reached into his pocket suddenly. Pulling out a gun.

"Oh shoot!" Harley yelled.

"Ivy get us outta here." Joker laughed nervously. Ivy sprang to work, using her vine, it slid across the room. Scarecrow began to shoot but his aim proved useless as the trio scattered. The vine wrapped it's self around the three villains, lifting them up into the air and towards the hole in the roof.

"FUCK!" Scarecrow yelled, still shooting towards the sky, he couldn't let them get away! Harley suddenly in midair reached into Joker's pocket. "Pumpkin what are you doing?" Joker asked curiously.

"Making sure he never can make that toxin again." Harley felt what she thought would be what she was looking for, she pulled out a few grenades. Pulling off the lid she threw the down.

"Take that four-eyes!" She yelled. Thankfully the trio was flung out of the warehouse before the mini bomb went off. The landed hardly onto the pavement meters away. The warehouse exploded in some parts, a wildfire breaking out. The trio could feel the heat even as the sat on the curb They watched as the building become engulfed in flames and continuously exploded. They panted heavily, silently trying to regain a grip on themselves. So much had just happened!

"If the bomb didn't kill him the fire definitely will." Harley said breaking the silence.

"Harley!" Joker scolded, he was mad at Scarecrow but didn't want him to die. A soft giggle came from Ivy.

"It definitely will." She laughed softly. Both women began to laugh, despite Joker's refusal he eventually cracked a smile, joining in on the infectious laughter.

"Come on let's get to the car." Joker stood up, helping both Ivy and Harley up. The three walked away from the burning building as if nothing had happened. The car awaited them at the end of the block. They got inside telling the driver to floor it. Inside they chatted about the craziness of the night they had just encountered. Joker looked outside of the window, the sun was coming up now, it must have been well past 6.00 AM.

"What a freak!" Ivy sighed, closing her eyes. The adrenaline in her body was just beginning to go down after minutes of driving. Harley agreed even cursing out the psychologist. Joker was about to chime in when he felt a faint rumble in his stomach, not a rumble hunger or fullness but a rumble. The rumble caused a small pain in his intestines. He groaned feeling his stomach turn. He clutched it. The pain suddenly reached his head as well. He felt light-headed, symptoms he wasn't feeling before.

"J?" Harley asked, noticing the clown's silence. He didn't reply.

"You okay?" She questioned quickly.

"No I- i." Joker stopped, feeling choked up, his eyelids began to feel heavy.

What's happening to me? He didn't get an answer though because soon enough he felt like he was passing out. The last thing he heard was Ivy and Harley's terrified cries.

"I thought you said it was harmless?!" After that everything went black.