"Timing..."

Picture perfect.

That was the best way to describe it. The sun illuminated his face, it was beaming. His smile was dazzling. It was clear that he was enjoying himself.

He loved the outdoors.

We've been walking for almost an hour, and yet I saw no signs of fatigue in him. He kept walking, telling me how he felt being out here, on a hike... with me.

"So how's the preparation for Lilian's birthday coming along?"

"Good. Good. Yesterday I spoke with the caterers, and I was able to narrow down the menu." He looked back at me, he wasn't even breaking a sweat.

"Oh yeah? Like how many people did you have in mind for the party?" I asked, my breathing starting to speed up.

"You included? About a hundred." He moved a low branch out of the way so he could pass.

"That's a lot."

"Well, we need to include the people who could help Lawrence win this election, so yeah... it really is a bit plenty."

"Still thinking about him, huh?"

"Why shouldn't I? He took good care of me when I was at the hospital, it's my turn to give back." He slipped a bit, but immediately righted his footing. I stared at his curvy backside, the pervert that I was, and tried to remember what we were talking about.

"He took good care of you?"

"Yeah! Lawrence did."

"Like how?" I started getting angry that Rex was giving the credit to Lawrence for what I did back then.

"He held my hand, sometimes hugged me, when I was having a nightmare. He was always there to comfort me, to whisper to me, to calm me."

"Are you sure it was him?"

"What do you mean?" He completely stopped walking to face me.

"He had no reason to spend his time with you back then... he didn't even know you. He barely had time for himself with everything going for the campaign. How do you know it was him?"

"I felt him. I heard him. I... I..."

"Did you see him?"

"No, but who else would do that for me."

I smiled at him.

"You." He whispered, finally understanding.

"Is this the reason why you feel closer to him? Because you thought he took good care of you back then?"

"Well, he did pay for my surgery, and I'm still living with him. That has to count for something, right?"

"I guess, but with all the money Louis left you, and the money you've saved, you're not really financially incapable of paying him back for his expenses you know."

"Sometimes it isn't about the money."

"I agree, but in this case that's all he has done for you. Paid everything. Isn't it?"

"No, not really." He smiled that beautiful smile before turning around to start walking again.

"What do you mean?"

"Well he... slept with me."

"He what!" I said, a bit louder than I intended.

"Not like that." He giggled, and I suddenly felt a bit irritated.

"Oh, and how pray tell did he end up in your bed?"

"I was having a bad dream. I woke him up with all my screaming. He came to my room to calm me."

"He did that once, and you instantly fell for him? I've been doing that repeatedly at the hospital and you haven't even noticed me outside of being just the person who dug you out of a burning haystack."

"Before anyone could help me... you were the very first person who rushed into a field of falling plane parts to save me. Who could top that?" He sighed.

"And yet you feel closer to Lawrence."

"Stop." Again he turned around to face me.

"Well, it's true. I see the way you look at him, the way you speak kindly to him. He isn't Louis, he's not your husband! You need to separate your feelings for Louis from your feelings with Lawrence. You're confused."

"I am not! My feelings for Lawrence is in no way connected to the way I feel for Louis. I know they're two different human beings, I am not in any way trying to resurrect Louis by using Lawrence."

"So you'd choose Lawrence over me, someone who merely paid for your time in the hospital over someone who stayed to make sure you were never alone or in any danger."

"What are you saying?" He sighed, beginning to lose patience.

I grabbed his arm to gently stop him from walking any further.

"I'm saying I want you. Since the day you fell into my arms, I've wanted to take care of you, to keep you safe, to keep you comfortable. I don't understand it either, but after I saved you that day... I felt like my life was tied to yours. That you were meant to come into my life... like a prayer answered, finally."

"But I'm married to Lawrence's brother."

"Yes. To Louis... not to Lawrence. There is nothing that ties you to Lawrence. You can still choose." I looked into his eyes, then his lips that slightly parted to give a smile. "Choose... me."

I let go of the picnic basket I was holding to reach up and place my hands on either side of his face. It was my chance as I leaned ever so slowly to kiss his plump red lips. Taking charge, taking the risk, taking the plunge, afraid that I would never have a better... timing.