"Numb..."

I wish they'd all just shut the hell up!

They were whispering, oblivious to the fact that I was awake. They were in the middle of a discussion. Actually no, a conversation. One of them was in the process of updating the other... which one was which I still could not decipher.

I could feel my head like it was about to explode. A dull, throbbing pain was pulsing steadily. Their voices were muffled by the cloth that bandaged my ears and entire face, but from what slits I could manage to see through, I saw a white lab coat and a pair of khaki slacks facing each other from where I was lying in bed. The bright, white light made it impossible for me to keep my eyes opened for more than a split second, before I had to close them shut again due to the sharp pain that it caused my confused and worried brain.

Fragments of their conversation drifted to me as I lay there between half asleep, and fully awake. Words like: Senator. Damage. Chances. Running. Plane crash. Brother died. Rex... only survivor. Burned face, burned neck, burned right arm. Holding wedding band. Called his cousin. Will be here in the morning. Very few relatives. Only two. Friends... only a handful. Your mother. Stroke after hearing the news. Emergency room. Funeral... planning... last will and testament. So very sorry. My condolences.

I was vaguely aware of my surroundings. There was a tube in my mouth, an incessant beeping sound, and a humming air conditioning system nearby. I was thirsty, and I tried to groan but my throat hurt too much. In the end I gave in to the nagging drowsiness, and willed myself to sleep through all the pain, and confusion.

"I'll nurse you back to health, then I'll get rid of you. You'll only be a problem to me and my family. I can't afford a scandal like this. You'll cost me my life's work. I'll pay you any amount, just don't ever come near me or my family again. There's absolutely nothing good that you can do for me, or my mother. You're not welcome here. You're not part of my family... you never will be." A very deep, sexy, and masculine voice said as he stood near my bed.

His close proximity to me had a somewhat relaxing effect, like a soothing balm, or a refreshing breeze. He sounded a lot like... Louis... and somehow, his voice calmed me.

Yes, he was going to get rid of me... but he was going to nurse me back to health first. My hero! He was even going to give me some money. He was, for some reason the only person I could rely on now. The only person I could trust. I was dependent on his kindness and generosity... and I desperately hoped that both would not run out before I was fully back on my own two feet.

The door to my room opened, and a gentle breeze blew past my exposed left hand before it closed again. A faint thud sounded, and I felt myself panic that my hero left me all alone in this new and scary surrounding.

I tried to open my eyes briefly to check if the guy was still there, but saw no one. A shiny object caught my attention though, and for a split second I had trouble focusing on it.

A ring, of white and rose gold was wrapped daintily around my ring finger. It felt cold, foreign even. My hand wasn't burned as well as the rest of my arm, and I was happy about that. My mind registered that only my face and right arm were encased in bandages and not my hands or any other parts of my body before the meds kicked in and lulled me into another deep slumber. It was then, as my breathing slowed, that a realization hit me.

Why was I wearing a ring?

I tried to remember, but my mind was too groggy. Growing tired, confused, and sleepy I gave up rationalizing as my body became relaxed and then finally, thankfully, I felt myself go... numb.