"Safe..."

"There's nothing special about me. I am as ordinary as they come, which is why I ask myself repeatedly... why I survived, and the others did not?"

I looked at all their faces, a sea of people, mostly crying while the others were mad. Mad that I lived, while their loved ones perished. They were here out of curiosity, out of sadness, despair... and longing.

"I have no answers for you. No explanation. If I could give my life to spare the lives of the people you love... I would. But I cannot hazard a guess as to why I'm still here, standing before you, instead of the people who matter the most to you."

My eyes started watering, the faces of Louis and Rex vivid in my mind's eye. Their loving stares, and warm smiles. Their friendly banter, and concerned looks. Why did I live when those two... perished?

"I am truly sorry for your loss. Know that I share in your grief, and anger. I am not the enemy here, I too am just a victim. I too lost someone very dear to me. I too am grieving.

"But we must all forge forward, life does not stop simply because we've lost our will to live. No, life goes on, and so must we. We owe it to the people we lost to live each day as if we still have them with us, we must keep their memories alive.

"The Blackrock Foundation has shouldered all of the expenses for the burial of your departed loved ones. It is our way of expressing our sympathy for the people who shared in the ill-fated flight that our beloved Louis was on.

"We know that this is a small amount to compensate for the lives of the people you loved, we are not trying to buy your happiness here... merely trying to extend our sincerest condolences. Mayor Lawrence Xavier Collier Blackrock has taken care of all the necessary arrangements. The city cemetery is being prepared as we speak. Again... our deepest condolences."

I moved away from the mic at the podium as dozens of cameras flashed. Lawrence stood to lead me to a seat beside him.

Lilian took to the stand, and gave her speech as well, all the while trying to emphasize the fact that we all grieve as a community... as a family. Her regal stature, and composed elegance kept the crowd mesmerized, and focused on what her main message was... acceptance.

Immediately, after her speech, the affair was brought to a close as a band started playing "Gone Too Soon" by Michael Jackson, and pictures of the victims of the ill-fated flight were flashed on a projector screen.

"Let's go. Our next stop is Station 143. Your captain awaits." Lilian smiled sadly at me as both Lawrence and I followed her down the stage, and on to the waiting limo.

The car crawled slowly out of the venue. People with tearful eyes followed the black shiny car we were in. Some waved, some smiled sadly, some glared.

One face towered over the faces of many, a face I have known for a very long time now... that of Harold Monroe, owner and publisher of Bedazzle Publications. He stared intently at me through the open window, his face expressionless as he walked beside the slow moving limo.

With shaking hands I pushed the button that would shield me from his eyes, eyes that were full of question, and unspoken emotions. The window slid quietly into place as the car gained speed in an attempt to flee the venue.

It was then that I hoped with everything in me that he did not suspect a thing, and that my secret was... safe.