78(Part II): A Moment's Peace

Start from the beginning

A woman in a white lab coat walked into the room and she stopped beside my bed.

"Good morning, Miss Digiola." The doctor smiled warmly at me. Was she this friendly with all her patients? "How are we feeling today?" She asked and I blinked, confused.

"Today?" I questioned. This was the first time I was seeing her so why did she act like it wasn't? How long had I been here?

"Can you tell me the last thing you remember?" She seemed to notice my confusion. I tried to recall my last memory.

"I remember having dinner with my parents and siblings. It was this Italian restaurant that served delicious spaghetti." I smiled at the memory. I had never eaten spaghetti that good.

"Alright." The doctor nodded and I glanced to my mom who sighed and mumbled something that sounded a lot like 'That was over a month ago' but I ignored it, assuming I had heard wrong. "We are going to take a few tests now, so, follow my instructions and answer the questions when I ask you, okay?"

"Okay." I answered, nodding.

The doctor went on to ask a couple of questions and ran a few other tests which seemed to take forever. She had excused my mom and Derrek while she tested me and I was honestly bored. I just wanted to see Derrek again and hold his hand.

After the tests were concluded, the doctor excused herself and a few moments later, Derrek returned.

*

It had been a week since I woke up in the hospital but in reality this was my fourth week here.

I had been informed that I had been in a coma for a week after the accident but I had, had Post Traumatic Amnesia for the past seventeen days. I was conscious for over two weeks but I couldn't remember a single thing. I could recall the week after that but there were still things that I couldn't remember happening.

The Doctor had assured me that I was doing well and I was to be discharged in another week. Apparently, I had been going through physical therapy which I could barely remember but it had helped a lot. I could walk for a period of time after three weeks of therapy but I still needed help most of the time. I could also speak better and coordinate myself more.

Benjamin had told me stories of how I had acted during the first two weeks of my Post Traumatic Amnesia and I could neither believe nor remember any of it. He had said that I had referred to him as Wizkid a couple of times and other times, I had whined about my sheep that had gone missing. I couldn't recognize anyone and they had to keep reintroducing themselves to me. I couldn't even recognize Derrek and always referred to him as the Captain of the ship. There were days where I couldn't say a word and just stare into space and there were days when I had conversations which started off sane but soon derailed into lunacy and violence. Everyone was scared and worried about me but thankfully I was fine now.

"It has been quite the year, hasn't it?" Derrek sighed after catching me up on the things I'd missed the past month.

Candice had sustained a head injury and a couple of broken ribs after she had purposely crashed into our car and the police had been waiting at the door of her ward the day she was discharged to escort her to jail. She had been discharged earlier last week and seemed to have amnesia but Derrek wasn't convinced that she did. Her court hearing was coming up in a week and the lawyers had assured Derrek that she was going to spend a long time in prison for the murder attempt.

Tosin and Zahrah had been following up on the case, making sure everything went smoothly. They had also visited me as much as they could, praying for me, telling me about their day and giving me the latest gossip.

Apparently, Tosin and Alex had gotten engaged last week and she was going to move to Liverpool in three months to join him.

Ziora had gone back to London to resume work at the hospital as her vacation days had been over but she had promised to take a trip back the moment she could. She had video called me severally but I couldn't recall any of that.

No one had heard from Naborhi and I worried for her. She hadn't contacted us since she left for the US and I could only hope and pray that she was okay.

"Do you regret it?" I asked as I looked down at my thighs. Derrek's life had become more complicated since I came into it. Candice wouldn't have tried to kill him if I wasn't in the picture.

"Not at all." Derrek cupped my cheek and I looked up at him. "Meeting you is the best thing that has ever happened to me. If I could go back in time, I would do it all over again. Every laughter, every tear, every pain, every argument. I would do it all over again, Tiara. I love you."

"I love you more." I smiled at him and he leaned in to plant a kiss on my lips.

"All our bad days are behind us now. It's happy days from here on out." He promised and I smiled even wider. I liked the sound of that. "I have a surprise for you."

"Surprise? What is it?" I asked, curious. I couldn't see anything new in the room and Derrek surely wasn't hiding anything behind his back so what was the surprise?

"You'll see after you get out of here, so." He got up to his feet and picked up the walking stick rested on the floor beside him.

"No! Tell me now!" I insisted but he shook his head.

"Patience, jellybean. The surprise isn't running away." He teased as he poked my nose lightly.

"Jellybean? When did that one start?" I laughed.

"I'm allowed to call you cute nicknames too, muffin." He winked at me and I couldn't help but cringe at the nickname. It sounded so weird to hear him say it. "Now, I've got some things to take care of. I'll be back before you know it." He placed a kiss on my forehead and waved me goodbye.

I gave a sigh, watching as he walked out the door. I missed him already.

"Now you have a boyfriend, you don't have time for your family again abi?" Mom said as she walked into the room. My dad, Benjamin and Adiola walked in after her.

"Mommy, it's not like that."

"He's been here by your side every single day since the accident, taking care of you when we weren't here." I smiled as she spoke. It was good to know just how much Derrek loved me. "You are going to marry him, right?"

"Mom, is this what we should be talking about right now?" I groaned and she rolled her eyes.

"Your mom is just excited to see you're doing better. She could barely eat or sleep these past few weeks." Dad chuckled as he stepped beside my bed.

"Daddy." I smiled at him.

"I'm glad you're alright." He said, giving my shoulder a little squeeze.

"Tiara, you need to hurry and come back home. Being at home with Benjamin is torturous." Adiola said as she sat on my bed. "I asked him for clothing advice one day and he dressed me up like a clown."

"I know nothing about girls fashion. Don't you all like colors and shiny things?" Benjamin defended and I scoffed at him, shaking my head.

"Let's say a word of prayer to appreciate our Almighty Father for bringing Tiara back to us." Mom proposed and I nodded in agreement.

Thank you God for saving my life.

********************************************

As promised, the second part of chapter 78. We've got two more chapters until the end of LLAML 😢