chapter 28

I was beginning to hate my job

The long hours, the crappy tips, the insufferable customers—a little above minimum wage and free biscuits weren't worth it anymore. Three and a half years forcing a smile around guests and coworkers for little recognition or praise was getting to me.

I was drafting my two-week resignation letter when my phone buzzed in my apron pocket.

Today 2:40 PM

BadBoyAngel
Hey
Hey
hEY

Lani
Yeah Bad?

BadBoyAngel
How are you :)

Lani
I'm okay
I'm at work

BadBoyAngel
When are you off??
I miss you :,(

Lani
I miss you too
I'm off in about 2 hours

BadBoyAngel
WHY SO LONG

Lani
Because it's my job unfortunately

BadBoyAngel
Fineee I'll wait
Anything for yuo <3

Lani
Ily <3

BadBoyAngel
Ilym <3

I returned to my container of cleaning supplies smiling. I was glad to have my friend back.

Not long after Clay and I reconciled, Bad came barreling back into my life and my messages. He apologized profusely, insisting that he only stepped back to let Clay and me work things out ourselves. He made sure I knew that he was a few days away from showing up at Clay's house and "kicking the muffin's booty."

It was an interesting thought to say the least. Especially knowing that Clay easily towered over Bad.

Nick was a bit slower to the reunion, claiming that he didn't want to "step into a minefield before the bombs were diffused."

I said that he was ridiculous, but I knew deep down that he had a point. I did everything I could to avoid Brook and Rye during their blowups, so Nick avoiding mine and Clay's made sense. That didn't stop Bad from berating him, though.

After a grueling shift at work, I called Bad as soon as I walked into the house.

He answered after the first ring, chirping a sweet, "Hello!"

"Hi, Bad!"

"How was work?"

I yanked my hair down, running my fingers through the tangled strands. "Honestly? Pretty shit."

"Yikes, it must've been. You never cuss."

"Bad, it was terrible. I got screamed at twice over the stupidest things—too much mayonnaise and too sweet lemonade! I wasn't even scheduled today. I only picked up the shift because Melody needed her Saturday open."