chapter 27

"And blocked

"And blocked."

"Melody, no!" I threw myself across her lap, ripping the phone from her grasp.

"What? He deserves it!" she pouted, reaching for it again.

"No, he doesn't!"

"What asshole says that after weeks of not talking?" She crossed her arms over her chest. "Oh, yeah, assholes who lead girls on and don't tell them about their secret girlfriends!"

"I don't know why I showed you!"

"Yeah, I don't know either! You knew damn well what I'd say."

"I just—Mel, I miss him."

Her eyes narrowed. "No! Absolutely not!"

"What—?"

"No relapsing!" She smacked my shoulder, the sting rippling down my arm.

"Ow!" I stared at her, eyebrows knit. "What is wrong with you?"

"A lot actually, but that's besides the point."

I shot her a flat look.

"You can't run back to him, Lani. He's clearly all over the place and I refuse to let you get caught in his chaos."

"But—"

Melody clamped her hand over my mouth. "Nope, none of that. You need to forget about him."

I shoved her hand away, leaning back into the bedframe. "But I don't know how to do that."

She started to say something, but the dull ping of my phone made us both freeze.

Today 10:23 AM

MLD
Can I come in?

I responded with a simple 'yes' and let Melody know.

With an approving nod, she grabbed her purse and headed for the door. She paused in the doorway, glancing over her shoulder. "You want my opinion? Find a guy like Major."

Like Major.

Not him exactly.

It was strange to hear after years of having him thrown at me.

A quick knock came at the door, followed by a soft call of my name.

I opened the door, smiling at the man on the other side. His hair was a disheveled mess, sticking up in all directions. His clothes screamed 'I need to do laundry!' but the bunny slippers on his feet said he didn't plan to today.

"Hey," he muttered, rocking on his heels.

I sidestepped to let him in, watching him with a raised brow. "What's wrong?"

He settled on the edge of my bed, resting his elbows on his knees. "Nothing."

"Major."

"Lani."