chapter 7

"Attention, troops!" Brook swung on her heel to face us, a playful smirk on her lips

"Attention, troops!" Brook swung on her heel to face us, a playful smirk on her lips. "We are about to begin the fun-nest night of our lives. Are you ready?"

"'Fun-nest' isn't a word," Major's voice rumbled from behind me.

Brook rolled her eyes, dropping Rye's hand to prop hers on her hips. "Captain Buzzkill, are you done?"

"When you're done making up—"

"Rules for tonight!" She clapped her hands together, startling Rye, who was typing on his phone.

"Rules?" he whined, throwing his head back. "Babe, I could be streaming right now. You know how many people would've watched?"

Brook shot him a flat look. "On a Wednesday night?"

He was suddenly interested in his Vans.

"That's what I thought." She turned back to Major and me. "You two, since we're celebrating, absolutely no one leaves before one."

I looked at Major over my shoulder. He was already looking at me worriedly.

"Hey!" Brook snapped her fingers. "No telepathy! Conversations out loud, please."

Major chuckled, resting a hand on my shoulder. "Sorry, we're just cooler than you."

Eye roll counter: 2.

"If I didn't need Lani here, I'd send your sorry ass home, Hayden." Brook stressed his given name, and I felt Major tense behind me.

"Can we go in now?" Rye grumbled, kicking the ground.

"Stop it, you. If you do this for me, I'll make it up to you later."

Rye's entire face lit up.

I turned to Major, resting my head against his outstretched arm. He shifted and draped his arm around me, rubbing my back.

I heard Brook squeal, but I didn't bother to look at her.

Though it felt like an eternity with Brook's eyes on me, it didn't take long to reach the front of the line. As the face of our group, as always, Brook offered the bouncer our IDs, followed by her award-winning smile.

His gaze didn't leave Brook as he handed the IDs back, looking her up and down.

Rye scoffed somewhere behind us, then the bouncer finally stepped to the side to let us in.

"Thank you so much," she purred, blowing a kiss before skipping inside.

Major dropped his arm as we followed her into the club, but I felt his hand ghost against the small of my back the entire way.

"I need a drink," Rye said, barely heard over the music.

"Great idea, babe! You two get us a table." Brook kissed his cheek, then whirled to me. "Let's go, Lani."