chapter 11

Late Monday night, the house crowded onto the couch for movie night

Late Monday night, the house crowded onto the couch for movie night. Brook made caramel-covered popcorn, Major made burgers on the grill, and Rye ate almost half of both before the opening credits began.

I sat between Brook and the armrest, the two of us and Major sharing one of the big blankets. Rye always had his own because he constantly got up to get more snacks or drinks — he never could sit still.

While the movie played and my friends ate, my eyes were glued to my phone. My focus bounced between conversations, my fingers constantly switching from one person to the other. I normally talked to Dream on and off most days, but ever since Dream's last stream, Sapnap joined him in my messages.

"Who's she talking to?" Rye whispered-shouted from Brook's other side.

"Some pedo in a basement," she answered with, somehow, the exact same volume.

I glanced up from my phone, red as a beet. "No, I'm not! They're not—I mean, nothing."

Brook flashed me her crazy eyes, clearly visible despite the darkness of the living room. "They? Did she say they?"

"More than one boy?" Rye mused.

"It's not like that . . ."

"Then what is it like?" Brook poked my shoulder.

The movie was paused by now, ignored by everyone in the room. Even Nemo, who was curled up by my feet, perked up.

I held my phone close, feeling my heart pick up. "They're friends, that's it."

"Just be careful."

Those were the first words Major had spoken to me in days.

"I am," I said, and we returned to the movie.

March 10

Lani (@lanicorn)
You're going to get me in trouble

Dream ✔ (@Dream)
how?

Lani (@lanicorn)
My friends are insanely nosy

Dream ✔ (@Dream)
i'm sorry?

Lani (@lanicorn)
I mean they keep asking questions
And making things seem worse than they are

Dream ✔ (@Dream)
what are they saying?

Lani (@lanicorn)
One thinks you're a pedo in a basement

Dream ✔ (@Dream)
ok ew
definitely not me

Lani (@lanicorn)
Ik you're not
But she likes to pretend she's my mom