Her

Y/N's POV:

Laura and I are on our way to the cafeteria, and that's special because we're meeting up with Sophia there to have lunch together. When I first got here, I never would've thought this was possible, and even more so after Laura spilled the beans - but here we are!

"You know what?", I ask Laura while we walk down the hallway.

"What?"

"I never found out what Sophia's reason to bully me was. And I don't think her hating my guts for no damn reason counts."

"You didn't? Oh ..." Laura seems genuinely surprised. She knows that Sophia and I are on good terms - great terms even - again.

"I don't suppose you know?", I ask tentatively.

"Actually, I do know", Laura confesses, "but I don't think that's my story to tell."

I'm not surprised, Sophia has already hinted at it being something like a bad memory for her, but I can't stop the tiny bit of disappointment I feel. However, there's also some admiration for Laura; she's still such a loyal friend to Sophia!

"I see ..."

Laura offers me an encouraging smile. "Don't worry, I think she'll tell you sooner or later."

I return the smile. Laura probably knows that that's the last thing I really need to completely put the whole thing behind me.

We don't talk about it again until we reach the cafeteria, and honestly, I forget about it as soon as I see Sophia. She looks stunning, a usual, but there's an extra glow about her today. Maybe it's the joy from the friendships between the three of us truly being rekindled.

~

The following Saturday, I finally get what I want.

Sophia and I are out late, on a mini road trip. The weather has been great all day, and even the evening is much warmer than usually. Sophia took me to a hill that overlooks the city and just so happens to be a superb spot to watch the sunset. So of course, that's what we're doing.

We're huddled rather close together since there's a slight breeze and it's getting a little bit chilly up here. That way, we can share the blanket Sophia brought.

"Do you still want to know why I bullied you?", Sophia asks quietly, her voice blending in perfectly with our surroundings.

I'm a bit taken aback; I didn't really expect her to bring that up so suddenly.

"Yeah", I confirm just as quietly.

"Okay." Sophia wraps her arms around her bent knees. "My other best friend used to live in that house. The one you're living in, I mean. We were inseparable, and I really did love her a lot."

She takes a small break and I can hear her steadying her breathing. Used to ... Did she move away? Did they fight?

"She died almost a year ago. In an accident. Her parents couldn't stomach staying in that house, so they moved. The house has been empty ever since."

I know Sophia has zoned out a bit right now and isn't paying attention to me, but I nod along. I'm beginning to understand what's been going on in her head.

"I also couldn't stand seeing her house every day. That was really hard for me! But when I saw you there ... I don't know, I just snapped."

Without thinking about it, I move a little closer to Sophia, but I don't say anything. I think she's still got some things she needs to get off her chest.

"I don't think I ever really processed the loss. I really wanted that house to stay empty forever because I was scared that it'd erase her completely. I don't want someone to replace her, ever!", Sophia confesses.

I reach over to gently pet her arm. When she doesn't object, I just let my hand rest there.

"I'm sorry, Sophia" After a few seconds I add: "I'd never want to replace her." It's not like she accused me of that but I just want her to know.

Sophia smiles slightly. "I know, Y/N. I'm glad you live there now."

"Me too", I breathe. "I hope you'll be able to come to terms with what happened."

"Actually, I think you moving in helped me. Of course the house couldn't stay empty forever. It kind of was like I got yanked out of a dream. And I didn't like that, so I took it out on you."

"I understand you now", I admit and I mean it. That doesn't necessarily make it right, but it's easy to comprehend her reaction.

"Thank you for listening to me. And I'm still sorry for how I treated you!"

I smile at her to let her know that now, I truly don't hold any grudges against her. She returns the smile and then we sit together in amicable silence.

"You know", Sophia murmurs after a long while, "you're just as beautiful as her." Her voice softens a little before her next words: "And I'd never think of you as a replacement for her. Not because I think you're not as great as her. Simply because I don't think I want to be just friends."