The New House

Y/N's POV:

The car ride took longer than I expected, so I fell asleep after a few hours. When I wake up, the car is parked outside a house. It's smaller than our old one and looks quite ordinary. At least it's not a terraced house, and it's surrounded by a garden.

The front seat is empty, so I'm guessing my driver has already left to do something else. Great.

I roll my eyes and get out of the car. The air is colder here. One more reason to hate this. But it's not like I can do anything about it.

I walk up to the house with my hands stuffed in my pockets. My parents should at least have told me to wear something warm. But who am I kidding, they haven't even texted me since they announced they wouldn't be coming back from Singapore and I'd be moving a week ago. At least the house looks okay.

When I reach the door and turn the doorknob I notice that the door is unlocked. For a second I get scared but then it turns into excitement. Maybe my parents do care about me after all. Did they come to visit me? Or maybe it is my best friend that I had to leave behind?

I quickly enter the house. It's already fully furnished but I'm not paying attention to that right now. Instead I run through all the rooms on the first floor, then the ones on the second floor. No one's there. Only the attic is left. No way any possible visitors would go up there, unless ... Maybe they want to surprise me.

A bit less hopeful I climb up the ladder into the small, dim room. It's empty as well, not even any furniture. There's a window though. It's at the far end of the attic. Dissappointed and somehow feeling even worse than this morning I go over to the window. From here I can see the biggest part of my garden. After it ends there is a small forest. I can't see through to the other side but I'm pretty sure there are houses as well.

For a moment I get lost in my sad thoughts while watching the leaves of the trees move with the wind. Then, suddenly, someone touches my shoulder. I freeze. I haven't heard anyone come in.