I'm Fine

Y/N's POV:

A few days have passed and neither I nor Laura have brought up the deal again. I wasn't feeling like it after the bitter taste the conversation left in my mouth.

Surprisingly, the deal itself has affected me way less than the conversation with Laura. Aside from having to share a small space with Sophia, this deal's not too bad. I can appreciate more time in the morning and less sweat running down my back precisely where my backpack sits on a hot, sunny day.

I have come to terms with this new part of my life very quickly. In fact, I barely even think about it anymore. It is only when Laura and I stumble upon the subject once again that I start pondering on it again.

It is a late afternoon and Laura and I have met up after school. And perhaps Laura's statement hits me so hard because I have been relaxing and slowly dozing off while the warm sun neared the horizon. 

"Maybe you should. Leave, I mean. You said you weren't happy here."

I immediately know she's referring to the deal. But that doesn't make her words any less jarring.

I try to tell myself that she didn't intend for it to come out the way it did - but really, the first time she brings this up again and it's about how I should leave? Sure, that is my part of the deal - in theory - but I thought that Laura would get it. Isn't it kind of obvious that I won't bow to someone like Sophia and simply leave? Besides, where would I go?

Laura does know the most important aspects of my relationship with my parents, so would she really think I would just call them up and ask them to relocate me - maybe even make room in their perfect life without me to let me back in? 

"It's not the city itself, you know? I doubt it'll be better somewhere else. Now that Sophia leaves me alone it's not too bad", I simply say without voicing all the dark, horrible feelings that are building up inside of my chest.

Why couldn't she have just let it go?

~

Maybe it's out of frustration that I start talking to Sophia the next morning. Out of the pure need to distract myself and have some human interaction.

Instead of sticking to our usual curt greetings, I add a "How are you?"

Sophia seems surprised but within a second she's already covered it up and transformed her face into a neutral, perhaps a bit bored expression again. "I'm fine."

I wait a few moments to see if I'll get anything more than that. But it doesn't seem like it.

"Me too", I quietly say. I'm half hoping it'll provoke her so that she'll start a petty argument with me, but it doesn't.

Sophia only nods and focuses on the road a bit more than necessary.