Chapter 27: "Don't fuck it up."

Start from the beginning

"You broke up with me, and you still wearing the necklace? Are you trying to make me the bad guy?" I asked, and she looked at me in disbelief. I just thought there's no point in wearing my necklace since we broke up. She showed everyone she cared by wearing the chain, and I didn't.

"Not everything is about you, Claude," Lydia said as she sighed in pain.

"Harris, do I have to scream for you to return to your work?" Joy spoke with her hands on her hips. Her eyebrows were raised with a hint of jealousy.

I stood up and spoke for the last time before going back to the stage, "Call me if you need help, which I know you won't," as I passed Joy on my way, I whispered, "jealous much?" Joy ignored by remarked by rolling her eyes.

***

I stretched my arm when I finished painting the last props while the cast was done with their previous rehearsal. Now, all I have to do is wait until the show starts. It's better to paint the props than to study. I walked around to find Joy, but she was nowhere. I asked everyone, but they didn't even acknowledge me—cocky first-year students.

"HEY!" I screamed to grab their attention, "where is Jocelyn?!"

"S- she's at the changing room," the freshman stuttered.

"Thank you!" I said before stomping my way backstage and going to the changing room. I opened the door slowly, and I saw the actors doing their make-up and putting on their costumes. I approached Maggie while she was putting on a blond wig, "have you seen Joy?"

"She behind there," Maggie pointed towards the black folding screen. I thanked her before going around the changing screen, and I saw her sitting on the chair with her head in her hand. She must be feeling overwhelmed.

I slowly approached her and brought my hand around her waist from behind. She was startled, a little bit relieved to know it was me, "you scared me," she said.

"Are you worried?" I asked.

"More like nervous," Joy sighed into my embrace, "I planned this play to be perfect, but Lydia had to fuck it up."

"Don't worry, we still have Maggie," I said.

"It's not just that," she took a deep breath and sat up straight before speaking, "Martin is here, and so is my dad- father."

"That's great, isn't it?" I asked her, and she looked at me without changing her expression, "or not- wait," I grabbed another chair and sat in front of her, "this is bad. What if people find out about your father and fiancee? You've been keeping your life a secret from everyone, and it seems like they can't respect it."

"That's what I thought, but the problem is not only that," she sighed, "I can already feel his judgment from afar. He is a perfectionist, and he will, without a doubt, judge my play and everything that are happening in this place," Joy said without skipping a beat. I already know this play is essential for her and if their father is here and tells her that the performance is terrible. It would crush her. 

I took her hand and brought it to my chest. She looked confused about my gesture, "what is it?" She asked.

"Do you feel my heart beating fast?" I asked her, and she nodded, "I understand your worries, and this play also scared me as much as you are. Have faith in Maggie as she will play as Aurora without batting an eyelash."

Joy shook her head and laughed at my remarks. I continue, "and don't worry about your dad. I, as your assistant, will always be by your side so that I will bear your dad's judgment along with you. I also hope  no one notice your dad and your fiancee's presence."