He Who Controls the Weather

Start from the beginning

"Welcome," says Tal. "There's not much room in here but we'll squish."

The tent is crammed with bodies but everyone moves an arm and a leg to make space for us. Once we're seated I take a better look around. The tent is square and held up by a number of steel posts along the edge. About 20 people are resting on mats on the ground. A couple of people stand. I don't know how we're all going to sleep in here tonight.

Hyla sits beside Tal. "Are you Aeternian?"

"Yes, I am," says Tal.

"Shhh!" someone hisses. "The GlobalGov is listening."

Tal flaps her hand at the guy.

"They already know what we are," she says. "So, as you see," she continues, "we've all being gathered here for Sebastian."

"For what?" I ask.

"Not too sure on the specifics but one thing is for sure, Lucius Sebastian wants to control the entire world and he who controls the weather, controls the planet."

"Why aren't you using your abilities to fight the Motos?"

"Can't," says Tal. "Not sure if you've noticed but they've built some sort of Aegis around the camp."

"What's an Aegis?" asks Crinae. I think it's brave that she's talking to these strangers.

"It's a shield that short-circuits the electrical charge we need for our skills. Try using yours, child."

Crinae snaps her fingers, expecting a shoot of light to be expelled.

Nothing.

The people around us start complaining about the Aegis. Not loudly but softly.

"You can't see the Aegis," says Tal. "It's an invisible guard over us. It works like solar power. With solar power, when sunlight hits the photovoltaic cells, it knocks the electrons loose from their atoms. With Aeternians, the GlobalGov transmits an ultraviolet light that kicks out the DNA in the cell responsible for our ability.

"Hear that ticking? It's the Aegis. The GlobalGov, for now, can only spread an Aegis over a few hundred square metres. But it's enough to stop us Aeternians in our tracks."

There's no way I'll be using my skills to escape. But maybe it doesn't even matter since I really haven't practiced my abilities against any real threat. Well, except Trunken.

"I suppose the Motos didn't tell you the rules?" asks Tal. "They like doing that because then they can dump you."

"Dump us as in kill us?" asks Hyla.

"That's right, honey. All you need to know is follow me. I'll see that you four don't get into any trouble. You remind me of my grandchildren, sweet girls and boys who are grown-up already."

"Where are they now?" asks Crinae.

"In Calgary. They're not Aeternians and I'm not sure if they even know I'm one. The Motos got me when I had to go out for food. I've been in this camp for several weeks, working for the GlobalGov. Tomorrow, they'll assign each of you a station," explains Tal. "I fix machinery since I can weld using my pyro skills. There's also a garment camp, a farm camp and then a camp that does odd jobs."

"How do you get to use your skills?" I ask.

"I'm a senior. The GlobalGov believes in an ancient myth that as Aeternians age, they lose their powers. No matter what, the Motos have guns trained on me at all times."

The sound of a shrill bell interrupts Tal. She presses her finger to her lips.

A loudspeaker screeches on and a voice drones out of it.

"Sleep, sleep, sleep immediately. Anyone caught outside of their tent will be punished."

"It's not even dark yet," I whisper.

"We're up early," says Tal softly. "Really early.

Since I'm used to the complete and utter darkness of caves, I know I'm in for a restless night. The tent is full of light.

"Make room for the new ones," says Tal to the others in the tent.

Space opens up on the ground and all four of us lie half on top of each other, in a pile on the floor. I pull my bristly sweater up over my head to knock out the daylight streaming through the holey canvas ceiling. Also, to hide my tears.

What can I do from here? I can't find mom, dad and Elody. I can't find Rassel. I can't do anything I'm supposed to do. I've got my sister and Hyla and Chuck in this mess and there's no way to get us out of it. I'm stupid and slow and no wonder the Waterstealers pick on me. Because I'm not worth anything.

I hold back a sniff but it comes out anyway. Hopefully, no one heard me. But someone has. A small hand clumsily swipes some of my tears away. It's Chuck. At least he won't tell anyone I've been crying.