He gives me a long kiss on the forehead and then a quick one on my cheek. "I'll go get you a chair. I'll be right back." He leaves the room and comes back a few seconds later with one of the wooden kitchen chairs and sets it in front of the window, situating it just right so I'll have a decent view. Carl grabs a blanket and folds it on the bottom of the chair, then places a soft pillow on the seat as well. He also grabs a pillow and places it on the windowsill. "In case you want to rest your head," he says. "Come here," he says, lifting me up in his arms. 

I groan at the pain in my arm and Carl apologizes, but I just shush him. I don't need him feeling sorry for anything at the moment. He gently places me down on the chair and doesn't let go until he makes sure I'm comfortable enough. I immediately lean forward and rest my elbows and chin on the pillow on the windowsill. Carl drapes the blanket over my shoulders and I automatically close my eyes, but Carl cups my cheek. 

"No, stay awake, love," he tells me softly. "I'll be back shortly. You'll see me the entire way, okay? I'll be in your sight until I get to the building."

I feel tears well up in my eyes. "But Carl, there's so many of them..." I look down at Alexandria from the second floor of our house and see at least a hundred walkers traveling through the streets and wandering around looking for living flesh. Panic floods my body and Carl wraps his arms around me from behind, being careful of my arm. 

He wipes the tears away with his thumb and rests his chin on my shoulder. "I'll be fine. I'll have my gun and two knives, one for each hand. And I'm gonna kill one of those fuckers and rub its guts all over me," he smirks. "Keep me even more safe, alright?"

The thought calms me a little bit and I nod, hiding my face in his arms. "Please, Carl. Be safe."

"Always," he whispers, then places a kiss on my lips. "I love you."

"I love you, Carl." 

I bounce my leg waiting to see Carl appear out of the door. I can't see the front door from where I'm sitting, but I'll be able to see him shortly after he exits. Once I see him I'll feel better, I'm just nervous he took one step out of the house and got bit already. And then I finally see my love stepping out wrapped in a poncho that's covered with red gore. 

I smile and sigh out of relief while watching Carl slowly step forward, keeping an eye out in all directions. So far, none of the walkers have really noticed him. They only took a couple glances and then walked on by. Carl seemed to be optimistic, too, since he was starting to move a little bit quicker. 

I watch his every move as he makes his way through the hoard being careful to not touch any of the walkers on accident. The entire situation was stressful as hell that I wouldn't even be able to fall asleep if I wanted to, but he finally makes it to the other building unharmed and without any incident. I'm honestly surprised- I was expecting him to at least have to kill a few walkers but none of them really cared for him. I'm so thankful I could cry, but I know that he also has to make it back and he may not be as lucky. 

A few minutes pass and Carl still hasn't left the house so my fear grows that there actually are walkers inside the building, too. I can't do anything about it except wait which makes me even more anxious and upset. Does it really take this long to just get medicine? What if he needs help? I'm sitting here all useless and shit while he could be fighting for his life...

But finally the door opens and Carl creeps out looking left and right before quietly shutting the door behind him. He's carrying a bag with- what I'm assuming is- the medicine in it and slowly crosses the town again walking alongside the dead. Carl is so close to the house it's unbelievable, and that's when a walker notices him. 

It grabs his arm and hisses at him. He panics, drops the bag, and thrusts the knife into its brain. This causes more walkers to notice him and he kills a few before remembering the bag. Carl swiftly grabs the back and sprints towards the house with walkers trailing behind him. He's at the doorstep and I can't see him anymore and I'm panicking trying to lean into the window as much as I can to hopefully just get a glimpse of him to know he's okay. I see a walker fall to the ground and nothing else, and then with the remaining energy I have I stand up, breathing heavily, and make my way towards the bedroom door. 

As soon as I pull on the handle Carl pushes open the door gasping for air. He's covered in walker guts but rips off the poncho and chucks it out the window. I immediately wrap him in a hug and he gingerly touches my back. 

"I'm sorry. I probably smell like shit," he laughs. 

"Shut up," I tell him while leaning into his chest, crying out of joy and relief. "I don't care."

Carl hugs me tighter and pulls me into him, then kisses the top of my head. "I got it."

I nod. "I know. I saw it. You're an idiot, risking your life for me, you know that?"

"You're worth it." He pulls away from me but still has his arms loosely around my back. "Here, sit on the bed and take your sweatshirt off. Let's get that medicine going."

I follow his direction and remove the outer layer of clothing, the one that was keeping me warm, setting it aside. My arm is throbbing at the movement and rubbing of cloth on it, and Carl is quick to dig the medicine out of the bag. He opens up a bottle of something and tells me to take two pills while handing me a water bottle off of the bedside table. 

Carl then pulls out some sort of cream and squeezes it onto his finger. "This might sting. Or it might just hurt. I just want to apologize in advance and ask that you please don't hit me," he jokes. 

I giggle and nod my head. "Go for it. I'll do my best." Once the cold cream touches my skin the wound is more tender than anything. It doesn't sting terribly, but it is extremely sore and I wince at the touch. 

"I'm sorry," Carl whispers, kissing my cheek to try to distract me. He pulls out a cotton wrap and gingerly wraps it around my arm.

I shake my head and look at him. "Don't apologize. You risked your life for me; don't apologize for anything." 

He plants a soft kiss on my shoulder before helping me back into my sweatshirt, making sure to stretch the sleeve around the wound so it won't hurt more than it already does. "Now get some rest so you can get better, okay?"

"Am I allowed to sleep now?" I joke. 

"Yes, my love. But only because I won't be able to sleep so I'll be up all night making sure you're okay."

I roll my eyes, sniffle, and lay back down cuddling into the blankets again. Carl is right behind me, snuggling up next to me with a hand wrapped around my waist. "We really need to get the hell out of here," I tell him. 

"When you're better," he replies. "As soon as you're okay, we will get the hell out of here."

The beginning kinda has Hunger Game vibes lol.