Sin: part 5 (c)

Firecrackers started exploding in the dark sky.

I decided that watching fireworks seems more interesting rather than mourning alone at home about my ex-boyfriend. I can't do anything about it so why miss this beautiful night. 

I was sitting on a grass meadow down the field where the festival was organized. It's a perfect place to watch, away from the crowd. There's also a small lake in front. Our city is quite beautiful.

I took a long breath and released it. What am I thinking? It feels so lonely here. Let's just run my brain about the murder case. Church. It's the only thing that pops up whenever I think about it. The lady used to go to the Central City Cathedral frequently, I saw the murderer in the same church. What was he doing there? Asking for forgiveness from God? Bullshit! He killed her for no reason. He didn't steal anything from her nor abuse her physically. And whose permission he needed? Is there a gang leader? Something big is happening away from the sight of citizens. Why am I sensing there's gonna be another murder soon?

Suddenly, a hand landed on my shoulder. 

"Joshua?" He sat beside me. "What happened?" He smiled and gave me ice cream. "Oh, thanks, were you getting bored with them?" He scrunched his nose and nodded. I laughed. I didn't know he could read faces. He came back to cheer me up not 'cause he was bored

He pointed at the sky, a pink firecracker blasted and made a flower shape. After that, a streak of them was released, producing loud whistling sounds, and brightening the sky. Joshua put his head on my shoulder and was watching them mesmerizingly. I looked at him. Colorful dazzling lights were reflecting in his black eyes, so deep to drown me in them. I won't be tired looking at his face all night. Wait—

It can be Joshua! God, no! He could be their next target. He witnessed the murder, what could be a better reason than that? The murderer was standing outside his door with a knife that day. He didn't kill him first 'cause he needed permission but if he came again with a knife it means he's been granted. No! No! It's not good! It's not good at all. I need to make a plan to protect him and keep him in front of my eyes all the time

Joshua tugged on my shirt and raised his eyebrows. "Uh, n-nothing," I almost zoned out. 

He put a hand in his pocket and took out some firecrackers.

 "Where'd you get 'em?" I asked. He gave me a suspicious toothy smile. His pocket was like a magician's hat. He was placing them on the ground one by one, there were sparklers, rockets, aerial comets, and a lighter. 

"You know I can charge you for carrying explosions with you," I said. He blew raspberries at me and went to fire an aerial comet. 

The way he's holding the lighter, he'll burn his hand instead of the cracker. I stood up and took it from his hand, "I'll do it. You just watch," I lit its tail, and took some steps back, in some seconds, it flew above like a snake, making a shrieking noise, and boom! exploded in the sky. Joshua was clapping and jumping in excitement, giggling his heart out. 

Aw, he looks so happy. 

We started firing all the fireworks that he brought I don't know from where. In the end, only sparklers were remaining. We sat together at the bank of the lake, holding one in each hand. Its flickering sparks look so captivating.