Chapter Twenty-three

"That went really well," Sky remarked once we were back at his apartment

"Really?" I asked, walking toward the bedroom. "You think that went well?"

"I don't think. I know," he said. "My father isn't exactly the warm and friendly type, Raven. It's honestly hard to tell if he likes someone or hates someone, at least when he first meets them."

"Oh. It wasn't hard for me to figure that part out," I continued. "Your dad hates me, and he also thinks that I'm a gold digger who's hellbent on stealing every last penny from your family's fortune."

"He doesn't think that."

"He pretty much said that, word for word." I frowned. "But that's okay. You don't work for your dad, anyway, so it's not like he can fire you or something--"

Sky turned me around by my waist, cutting me off with a soft kiss. "Just... give him a chance, okay? I really think he'll come around."

"And what if he doesn't?" I pressed. "What if your father hates me forever and spends the rest of his life trying to break us up?"

"He won't."

"Okay, but what if he does? What happens when he pops back up in your life -- in our life -- dangling that sweet inheritance over your head?"

"God, you made that sound so gross." He grinned.

"You know what I meant." I rolled my eyes, not in the mood for jokes.

"Raven, listen to me," he went on. "My dad doesn't get to pick who I'm dating, or god forbid, who I'm marrying. He doesn't get to control my life, at all. And as long as you want to be in my life, that's how long you'll be in my life. Okay?"

"Okay," I said, even as doubt after doubt piled up in my mind.

I just didn't know if Sky would really be able to say no to his dad, not when it came to something like that. What was he going to do if he ever needed money for something big, like an unexpected emergency or if he ever wanted to start his own business?

Was he really going to ignore the fact that he was guaranteed millions of dollars, and all he had to do was marry the woman his dad picked out for him?

It felt impossible to believe.

"Stop," Sky commanded.

"Stop what?"

"Stop overthinking." He smiled. "I can see it on your face, Raven."

"Sorry."

"You don't have to apologize," he continued. "You just have to stop." He took a step closer to me as he stared down into my eyes. "Do you think there's anything I can do to help you with that?"

I innocently hummed, pretending like I didn't know exactly what he was getting at. "I don't know. Maybe one of those big puzzles? The ones that have like, three hundred pieces? Those usually help when I'm stressing out about something."