15

Her hair was messy and her robe was light pink, a fluffy cotton contraption that hid her curves underneath that tugged a smile to my lips. 

She usually always wore such dark clothes that seeing the opposite, cheerful color on her was...well, different. 

"What do you want to talk about?"

Cami's eyes were glazed over, almost like she'd had the most exhausting day of her life and she could fall asleep standing if she were so inclined. 

The haze of a bright lamp in the corner painted her in a backlit silhouette and tossed sprays of warped shadows along the off white walls. 

She stared back at me impassively, like this was the most uninteresting conversations she'd ever had--and I wondered what had changed so drastically since the last time we'd spoken to each other. 

When had that been, even?  Was it the day of the field trip? Could it really have been that long ago?

I'd been so wrapped up in Colton's drama and Alec's mental health crisis that I'd barely given a second thought to Cami, save for when Colton had complained about her, over and over again. 

"Look, I'm sorry for how my friends acted earlier.  I just wanted to say that I don't hold any hard feelings or anything against you."

"Hard feelings?"

Her voice was a monotone symphony of unfeeling boredom, almost like the interested girl I'd met on the school bus at the field trip was completely and totally gone and in her place was a cold hard shell of a person who refused to give even an inch as for what she was feeling inside. 

Her brown eyes were dull and dead inside, the expression not unlike the one Alec had been sporting of late. 

The same expression that Grey had on his face the last few months leading up to his attempt. 

Was that what this was?  Was this breakup with Colton something that had thrown her over the edge?  

I'd known she'd lived a life of hardships...maybe this was her last straw.

Who knew how Colton had treated her, or how he'd dumped her. 

With the way he spoke about her in our group...I just knew that it wasn't pretty. 

He'd been telling everyone at our table that he stood her up after she'd done the same to him as payback.  He said she was too easy, and that he preferred to chase girls rather than the ones who just gave it up so willingly. 

I hated how he spoke about women, but I couldn't find it in me to shut him up--Alec had been sitting right there, flicking his lighter up and down and staring into it like he was tempted to light his entire hand on fire just for fun.