11

The kitchen was painted in foggy grey fading sunlight coming in through designer accent curtains covering the large floor to ceiling windows of the dining room

Mom was passing around the salad bowl before she spoke. 

"So, why don't we all take our seats?  Richard should be here soon and then you'll have met the entire family!"

I highly doubted dear old dad would be joining us, but I didn't want to ruin my mom's optimism. 

It had been far too long since she'd smiled like this.

Maybe despite my earlier confusion and questioning of this little arrangement would prove to be wrong. 

Maybe this Camille would be good for us, for all of us. 

I couldn't help but notice the look gleaming in Parker's eyes though, the kind that portrayed his actual feelings about Camille.  He was looking at her like she was a piece of mouthwatering meat and she was his dinner. 

I definitely didn't appreciate that look. 

"Uh...I might have to dip out a little early after dinner if that's okay mom?"

Mom was not one for a change of plans, so when she stared at Parker and practically seared him through to his soul with the devil glare she pinned on him, it was hard not to feel the flames myself.

"And what's so important that you can't have a good family meal with our newest member?  What if I had a special dessert prepared?"

I highly doubted it would be any good, but since she was trying, I would gladly eat whatever burned concoction she'd whipped up in the kitchen. 

"I had plans with Colton and Carter."

Cami visibly tensed in her seat where she'd shrunk her posture down low enough to try and make herself invisible. 

I knew that feeling all too well; the desperate desire to make sure no one saw you and what was going on behind your eyes, down to the turmoil roiling in the depths beneath.

Her dark brown eyes fell down to her plate filled with uneaten food, not similar to my own considering my stomach begging for food. 

Without the help of a certain green herb I'd been smoking earlier, however, and my plate would've looked exactly like hers: untouched.

Mom sighed, clearly fed up with Parker. 

There'd been a change in him ever since he'd started hanging out with those guys.  I knew it was all because of Alec, but that didn't mean that he had to change or start acting like those assholes, either, it was just how it happened. 

You reflect those you spend time with. 

I wondered what that said about me--considering the only person I hung around was myself.