collect call

Vivian had been at her new High School for a week now and was settling in nicely. The weather was a little bit warmer, but snow was still everywhere.

One evening, around 5 pm, everyone got home at once and Vivian was in the kitchen. She was grabbing a snack when Luke came up behind her and gave her head a gentle kiss.

"Hi angel," Luke smiled. "How was school?"

Vivian smiled. "It was good. How was work?"

"Eh," Luke shrugged and grabbed an apple from the bridge. "I was wondering if you wanted to go with me to pick up some groceries tomorrow?"

Vivian nodded. "Speaking of going places," she hummed, "My friend, Belle, said that every year there was a winter fair in the town square and I was wondering if I could go?"

Luke tapped his finger against the fridge. "When?"

"Next week, Saturday." Vivian said.

"Who all is going?"

"My friends, Belle, Margot, Athena, Eloise, Oliver, Tessa and Phillip." Vivian listed off with her fingers.

"Fine. You can go, but I want you home by 11. No later than 11:30 or I'm sending the police, understand?" Luke firmly said.

"Yes." Vivian wrapped her arms around her dad. "Thank you!"

"You're welcome," Luke laughed, rubbing her back before she ran off upstairs.

Vivian let her friends know that she could make it and took a quick shower.

Being here in Garden, Colorado was a lot for Vivian. She loved it more than anything — especially because being in Rhode Island was something she never, ever wanted to do again.

After getting out of the shower and changing into pajamas, she received a phone call.

From Rhode Island.

"Hello?" Vivian said shakingly.

"This is a collect call from Rhode Island state jail. Would you accept these charges?"

Vivian closed her eyes and mumbled to herself before saying yes. The voice on the other side sounded groggy, but it was her mom.

"Vivian?" She spoke.

"Mom, why are you calling me?" Vivian said firmly. "You are not supposed to be contacting me."

"Vivian," Cassandra let out a sigh. "I miss you so much baby."

Vivian let out a loud laugh, and hung up so fast.