13. On The Cusp Of Calamity

• Dedicated to Edward Ingram

The angels were in one of the bedrooms they had booked for their month-long stay at Spring Hotel. They were all riddled with nerves and Christine and Jade were pumping themselves up with warming up and exercising techniques, Nicoli was performing yoga and perfecting her calming and indoctrination techniques whilst Alpha was sitting in the corner, meditating. She had several things in front of her: a candle; a bowl of water and a pile of sand. She was performing many spells whilst also using the breeze from the open window, whilst also practising and perfecting her magic. She was slowly pumping a little bit of confidence and strength into all of the angels in the room. Of course, they didn't know this but Alpha didn't seem to care.

"So, Christine, we need to go through some strategies or something" Jade announced whilst she and the angel mentioned began stretching their arms behind their heads.

"Anything in mind?" She asked and Christine opened her mouth to say something when the door opened and Edward entered.

"Ah, Edward! Just the man!" Jade exclaimed and she and Christine began doing twist jumps on the spot.

"Erm... What's going on here?" He asked, looking around.

"We're warming up" Jade answered, the two still doing their jumps.

"For what?" Edward asked, narrowing his eyes. Christine sighed and Jade rolled her eyes.

"What do you think?" Christine asked and Edward frowned.

"What? You're all getting ready to fight Alice and her demons?" Edward asked, looking at the others in the room.

"Why not?" Nicoli asked, having one leg folded in front of her and the other leg stretched behind her whilst also stretching her arms above her head.

"We've got your back, man" Jade said, beginning to stretch her legs.

"Ugh, guys. This - this is ridiculous" He said, turning back to Christine who was also stretching with Jade.

"Edward, be realistic, here. We need numbers and we need preparation. So, come on, Mr. Leader man, what's the plan?" She asked and Edward sighed deeply, pinching the bridge of his nose. The window opened further and cold wind swept around the room, biting at everyone's arms and legs causing them to stop what they were doing. The window then closed and everybody stopped to look as Edward pulled something from his pocket. It was a folded sheet of paper and her unfolded it out in front of him.

" 'To my brother and his angel bitches,

I've spent this past week looking around for something to beat your sorry little bumholes into the ground but then I thought: 'let's just turn up'. You'll never win, no point in trying. If you just turn up with a couple of white flags and a KFC bargain bucket I'll make sure your death is as painless as possible... Unless I forget.

But seriously, you have no chance, don't even try.

On second thought, it'd be nice to give you a chance to try to redeem yourself. Although, it'd be a failed attempt , it'd be funny to watch.

The arena? You know where.

See you at your death,

Your wonderful baby sister' "

When he finished reading he looked at the rest of the others, looking at their reactions. They looked highly confused, there was a tense moment as they all looked at Edward, waiting for an explanation. If anything the letter was proving their point, they had to prepare.