People are currently sitting on the chairs with no backs on and eating on the counter.

"Hi June" I say brightly to one if the waitresses, as I make my way to the counter she is currently working behind.

She is about 35 years old and is really nice to everyone. She wouldn't even hurt a fly. You couldn't even tell that she's 35 because she only looks like she's in her mid 20s. The only things that would probably give away her age is her laugh lines and, if you look closely enough, some grey strands of hair on her head.

"Hello dear. Oh, let me take your bag and coat an put it behind the counter for you while you put your apron on and start your shift", she says to me in a bright voice.

She was always kind to me ever since my first day. She taught me everything I needed to know to work at the diner and for that, I am forever grateful.

"Thank you June. I better get to work", I say to her while giving her my bag and coat.

"Oh, it's no problem at all" she says to me as she takes my things and puts it behind the counter, while also giving me my apron.

I smile at her before putting on my apron and starting my shift.

As I clear a table I feel 'his' eyes on me again and the hairs on the back of my neck stick up. Goosebumps appear all over my skin.

Uneasiness settles in the pit of my stomach and stop cleaning the table as my hand froze mid cleaning.

I looked around the diner to see if anyone was watching me but everyone was either enjoying their meals, reading the newspaper or enjoying the other persons company they had come with.

I quickly finish cleaning the table and made my way behind the counter.

"Katherine, do you mind taking the table at the back? The manager wants to talk to me about something" June asks me.

"Sure don't worry about it" I reply to her with a small smile.

With that she walked to the back to talk to the manager.

I took my notebook to write down the orders and made my way to the table.

"Hello. My name is Katherine and I'll be your server. May I ask what you would like?" I ask politely looking at my note pad and turning it to a new 'order' page.

"Katherine?" says an all too familiar voice.

"Oh, hi James. I didn't know you were here. Oh and hello Mr Collin" I say to James and his father, who is sitting opposite him.

"Oh, hello Katherine. How are you?" he asks.

"I'm good. How are you?" I ask politely, smiling at him.

He was always a father figure to me. He was there for me when I needed him after my parents...passed. Although I didn't need him often as I was fine by myself, but thy doesn't mean I'm not grateful.

"I'm good to. Just teaching James everything I know as he'll be taking over my business soon" he replied happily although he gave me a tight smile.

"Um, yeah. I heard about that. Congratulations Jason! So what will you guys be having?" I asked ignoring Mr Collins tight smile.

I'm sure I'm seeing things as Jason doesn't seem to notice anything.

They both ordered a steak with gravy and mashed potatoes, along with fizzy drinks.

I write down their orders and make my way to the square whole in the wall, where it gives a view of the kitchen, behind the counter.

I gave the order to Maurice to give to the head chef to cook. After about 15min the orders are ready so I pick them up and go to the table where Jason and his dad are.

I place each meal in front of them and ask if they needed anything else. They replied now and smiled at me. I smiled back before leaving them to enjoy their meals. I returned to the counter still feeling a pair of eyes on me.

As Jason and his dad ate I could see Jason taking quick glances at me. Every time I caught his eyes he'd smile. I'd smile back and he'd return to eating and talking with his dad.

I couldn't help but think how great of a friend he is although we hardly talk and he is more of a brother to me as well as a friend.

Ha, a brother who hardly talks to me but only by chance.
I mentally laugh to myself with a small smile on my face.
Don't we all have one of those?

--------------------------------------------------

Another chapter guys!!!
So how was it?
I know I know.... not much action but next chapter I promise there will be a lot of action and I mean a lot.

Hope you liked this chapter!

Vote

Comment

Follow

Jamilah1125 xx