Chapter 19: Alolan Date Night - Greninja and Delphox

Start from the beginning

Infernape felt sad. He completely understood how Pancham felt. He walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. Pancham looked at him and saw him smiling.

"When we lose, we blame ourselves, we question what went wrong. And you know what happens? We learn from that, and we use that to do better next time. You learn a lot more from a loss than a victory. Ash taught me that. And now look at him, he's finally a champion. The same will happen to Serena, and she'll have you to thank for it." 

Pancham just took all those words in. He hadn't really thought about it like that. He smacked his cheeks and formed determined fists.

"Yeah! I won't let her down next time!"

Infernape chuckled at the little guy's determination. Unbeknownst to them, Greninja had been listening in. He too was taking all that in. He turned his head and watched Ash train. "You're not the only one he taught that to."

Greninja tilted his head towards the porch. He watched as Delphox made movements that caused Vulpix to laugh, most likely doing it to entertain the baby Pokemon. Greninja smiled. 'She would make a great mother someday.'

'Already planning that far ahead Greninja?'

Greninja's eyes shot open as he jerked his head back to Ash. He had a sly grin on his face. Greninja went full red, completely forgetting the telepathic link he and Ash now shared.

'I-I!...N-No! No I'm not! Y-You're just hearing things!'

Ash just laughed.

'Sure Greninja, whatever you say.'

Greninja kept looking away in utter embarrassment. Ash's tone suddenly changed.

'Greninja. I think its time you and Delphox had a night to yourselves.'

Greninja finally looked at Ash, who had a facial expression matching his tone.

'Y-Yeah I know. But I don't exactly know what to do for a date. The only one we really went on was when we all went to that woman's birthday festival.'

Ash put a hand on his chin, showing he was deep in thought. After a few moments, he grew a smile.

'I got an idea!'

'What is it?'

'Come over to me and I'll tell you.'

Greninja finally noticed him and Ash were further away than he thought. He made his way over to Ash. Ash told Rockruff and Passimian to take a rest. Once the two came face to face, Ash wrapped an arm around Greninja and led him towards Kukui.

Ash explained his plan to Greninja and Kukui. It was actually pretty simple, the two would have a dinner date. Kukui chimed in saying there was going to be a fireworks display to celebrate the end of August. Greninja liked the idea. It was so simple, even HE couldn't mess it up.

Kukui left to make a call to a special kind of restaurant, Ash reminding him of the gift he and Serena possessed. About an hour later, Kukui returned. He had a smile on his face. He walked up to Ash and Greninja.

"Welp, everything's all set."

Ash and Greninja smiled. The latter was about to leave but Kukui held him back. Greninja turned his head back to face him.

"I know its not really your thing, but I think you should dress up a little for it Greninja."

Greninja blinked a couple times for that to register. He looked down at his body. I guess in a way it made sense, but he had never really worn human clothes before. Kukui chuckled.