Chapter 13: Congratulations

Yi Jin's POV

"Baek Yi jin! Did you see the notice outside?" Sunbae asks as he comes to my desk in the office.

"No, I must have missed it. Why? Did something happen?" I ask.

"Aish... This boy... A lack of ambition will one day be your downfall." Sunbae shakes his head at me. "Ya! Go and see the notice outside! It's the new assignment of positions."

Before I can respond, other colleagues enter the office.

"Wow, look! It's our new anchor! Congratulations! Baek Yi jin! Our youngest UBS anchor!" They start to congratulate me.

I look at Sunbae in disbelief.

"Sunbae..." I ask, unable to believe the words I've heard. He nods and confirms it.

"Congratulations to our new anchor, Baek Yi jin. Make sure you do a good job. Not everyone gets to be an anchor at your age." Sunbae smiles.

"Thank you, thank you." I beam.

"OH! BY THE WAY, DID YOU HEAR?" One of the colleagues suddenly join the conversation. "Did you know? You know... that gold medalist fencer, Na Hee do?"

My ears perk up at her name.

"Who here doesn't know who Na Hee do is?" Sunbae asks sarcastically. "What about her?" He continues.

"My friend from LBS told me that she was spotted with a ring on her wedding finger!" The colleague says in an excited hushed tone.

"LBS? Isn't that our rival broadcasting system?!" Sunbae yells at him. The colleague covers his face.

"Ah, that's besides the point!" He tries to change the topic. "Didn't you hear what I said? Na Hee do has a ring on her wedding finger! SHE'S ENGAGED!" He exclaims.

Sunbae eyes me from the corner of his eye and I try very hard to hide my smile.

"Wow, this is news to all of us." Sunbae says sarcastically as he continues to cast me a look.

"Na Hee do is at another competition now in San Francisco right?" One of the senior members, who overheard the conversation, asks. "Baek Yi jin, don't forget to congratulate her on her engagement when we have that interview with her after the competition."

"Me? I'm doing the interview?" I ask in surprise.

"You're our new anchor aren't you?" He replies.

"Ah yes, right." I say, trying to maintain a professional look. But my face hurts from trying to conceal the joy on my face.

~

UBS News

"Today is July 10, 2009. Welcome to UBS News. We have won another gold medal in San Francisco. Today the "King of Fencing" Na Hee do won her third gold medal for Korea. We will connect live to San Francisco to speak with her." Yi jin says. He turns to face the screen that shows the live interview.

"Ms Na Hee do?"

Hee do looks up and smiles at the sight of Yi jin. Their eyes speak a thousand words.

"It's nice to meet you." Yi jin says, trying to relax the muscles in his face to avoid betraying any emotion of affection. "Congratulations on winning the gold medal."

"Thank you." Hee do smiles brightly. "Have you been doing well, Reporter Baek Yi jin?" Hee do asks.

"Yes, I have." Yi jin says and bites his lip to avoid smiling.

"Is it just me..." The cameraman whispers to the director.

"What?" The director asks.

"I mean, is it just me or do they know each other?" The cameraman asks.

"I don't think so... It can't be. Why do you say so?" The director replies.

"That's weird. I've never seen Reporter Baek look like that." The cameraman mumbles to himself. "I mean look at him... He looks like he wants to burst through the screen and go to Ms Na Hee."

"It's called being devoted to the job." The director says but sounds doubtful.

"Whatever you say..." The cameraman says, unconvinced.

"... A lot of things have happened. You have overcome all the obstacles and won another gold medal in San Francisco to give hope to many people. I'm sure many of our watchers want to know what other events you have lined up in future." Yi jin continues to ask in the live interview.

"For now, all I can think about is going home and seeing the people I love... To see the person I love." Hee do replies.

"Wah, Ms Na Hee do must really love Korea. Look, she's almost on the verge of tears. We have such a loyal citizen." The director comments.

"Eh... I wouldn't say it's purely patriotism..." The cameraman says, shaking his head at the director.

The connection between Yi jin and Hee do is unmistakable and tangible.

"Ah yes." Yi jin says. "That must be a very special someone."

"He is." Hee do replies.

Yi jin can't help but smile this time.

"I know it's a little early, but congratulations on your engagement." Yi jin says.